Montana, Rosebud County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Montana, Rosebud County Records, 1878-2011 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rosebud, Montana, United States|
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Rosebud, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains the following various records from the Rosebud County courthouse, located in Forsyth, Montana:
- Vital records (births, marriages, and deaths) 1882 to 1930
- Deeds 1878 to 1945
- Mining claims 1919 to 1940
- Wills 1887 to 1971
- Probate records 1901 to 1941 (book #2 is missing)
- Voter registers for various years
To Browse This Collection:
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Rosebud County Records, 1878-2011.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The records may contain:
- Name of the primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Parents' names including mother's maiden name
- Parents' age, birth place and residence
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Name of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of personal property or land owned by the deceased
- Address or residence
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Montana marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date the event occurred
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page':
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Montana, Rosebud County records, 1878-2011. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Look for the family in census records
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Search for church, land, and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Montana, Rosebud County Records, 1878-2011." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Rosebud County Offices, Forsyth.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.