Montana, Lake County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Montana, Lake County Records 1857-2010
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Lake, Montana, United States|
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Lake County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection covers the years 1857 to 2010. It consists of the following records from the county courthouse in Polson, Montana.
- School census
- Mining records
- Vital records (death and birth records have been indexed)
- Probate records
- Divorce records
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Lake County Records 1857-2010.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary individual, their age, gender and residence
- Event date and place
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of land or property
- Military information such as company, rank, and enlistment date
- Farm information such as number and value of acres, details of crops raised
- Statistical information about members of household
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Montana marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The age of your ancestor
- The type of event
- The approximate date the event occurred
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Category
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information to find the family in census records
- Search for the family in land and probate records
- Search church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the Montana Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Montana, Lake County Records, 1857-2010." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 7 September 2018. County Courthouse, Polson.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.