Monroe Utah Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Monroe Utah Family History Center serves individuals residing in the southern part of Utah's Sevier Valley. The center provides free access to numerous genealogical websites and databases, and houses a small permanent collection of local history books and microfilm/microfiche. Those in the the local area are encouraged to visit and receive consultation and other general assistance with their family history. The center is staffed on a limited schedule and by appointment with Ward Temple and Family History Consultants.
Location and Map:
- 260 East Center Street, Monroe, UT 84754 United State(This is not a mailing address)
- The center is located just west of the South Sevier Middle School. The center shares a building with the Records Operations Center, which operates during alternating hours. Parking is available on the street in front of the center.
- Monroe Utah Family History Center - Google Maps
Phone: 1 435-527-4612 (call during open hours)
Temple and Family History Consultant leadership - Center:
- Center Director: Rob Larsen 435-841-1040 email email@example.com
- Assistant: Earlene Larsen (Library and Resources)
- Assistant: Conna Chapman (Training)
Open Family History Research Hours:
|Sunday||5:00pm - 8:00pm|
|Monday||No Family History Research|
|Tuesday||7:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Wednesday|| 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Training 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
|Thursday||1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Friday||No Family History Research|
|Saturday|| No Family History Research
Training 10:00 am - Noon
- The center is also open by appointment with Ward Temple and Family History Consultants.
- Group visits: Due to staffing concerns and space availability, groups which plan to visit the center for any reason should contact the center during open hours to schedule an appointment.
- Closed most federal and state holidays, please call for information on specific dates.
Calendar and Events
Staff training for Temple and Family History Consultants of the Monroe Stake is held generally on the third Thursday of each month.
Next Staff Meeting will be on April 19, 2018 at 6:30.
UPCOMING Class Schedule
Classes are typically taught on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m. No need to sign up just come. Call Conna Chapman (435) 201-7568) for more information
March 28th- DNA What’s it all about?
April 4th- Searching for family on Google
April 11th- Find a Record on Family Search
April 14th- (Saturday 10a.m.-12p.m.) Web Indexing Class
April 18th- Searching for family in Wills
April 25th- Merging Duplicates on Family Search
The following in an incomplete listing of this center's permanent collections:
- Numerous local histories
- Local newspaper clippings provided by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- South Sevier High School Yearbooks (1950s-1960s)
- Our Pioneer Heritage, Volumes 1-20, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- An Enduring Legacy, Volumes 1-12, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- Annotated record of baptisms for the dead, 1840-1845: Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, Volumes 1-7 and index, Susan Easton Black and Harvey Bischoff Black, 2002
- LDS Church Ward Records for cities and towns in Sevier and Sanpete Counties (from the time of the ward's organization to 1948)
- Monroe Birth Records (1905-1953)
- Monroe Death Records (1905-1960)
- Utah Immigration Card Index 1847-1869 (aka Crossing the Plains Index)
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center may have various films and fiche from the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. This includes Ancestry.com, ArkivDigital, Findmypast.co.uk, Fold3, NewsaperArchive.com, WorldVitalRecords.com, etc.
- Map My Family Tree
- Personal Family History programs
- Ancestral Quest
Hardware and Equipment
- 16 desktop computers
- 1 laser printers
- 2 microfilm viewers
- 1 microfiche viewer
- 1 microfilm/microfiche image printer
- 1 image scanner
Resources in the Local Area
See also: Richfield Utah Family History Center
- Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP): Sevier South companies and camps
- Sons of the Utah Pioneers (SUP): Sevier Valley Chapter
- Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah - Koosharem Band of Paiutes
Sevier County research