Monroe County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Monroe County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Monroe County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|County Seat|| Sparta|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Immigration and Travel
- 5.14 Institutional Records
- 5.15 Land and Property
- 5.16 Maps
- 5.17 Military History and Records
- 5.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.19 Newspapers and Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Photographs
- 5.22 Probate Records
- 5.23 Repositories
- 5.24 School Records
- 5.25 Societies
- 5.26 Taxation
- 5.27 Vital Records
- 5.28 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Monroe County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Monroe County Courthouse
202 S K Street
Sparta, WI 54656
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage death, and land records;
Clerk of Courts has divorce, probate, court and naturalization records;
Veterans Service Office has military records 
Monroe County Local History Room & Museum is a Monroe County Department that has microfilm of county newspapers, early vital records, Wisconsin and US Censuses, naturalization records, tax rolls, probate records, military registration lists, as well as court records, church records, plat maps, school records, some cemetery records, family history books and files, yearbooks, and a large photo archive for researchers to access. Located next to the Monroe County Courthouse at 200 West Main St., Sparta. Records can be looked up in person or ordered via their website. Online indexes are always being updated and added to.
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Monroe County Biographical Index (1878-1933) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Monroe County Biographies WIGenWeb Archives project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Monroe County Cemetery Index (1850s-1980) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Monroe County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- Monroe County Census Indexes (1855-1920) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum — includes Wisconsin and US Censuses
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
- Monroe County Church Records Index Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Cashton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Monroe County Court Records Index (1850s-1970s) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
Crime and Criminals
- Monroe County Historic Business Index Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Sparta High School Senior Class of 1912 USGenWeb Archives
- Sparta High School Senior Class of 1919 USGenWeb Archives
- Directory of the Graduates of Tomah High School, 1880-1918 USGenWeb Archives
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Wisconsin Resources - Ethnic Origins WIGenWeb project
Immigration and Travel
- Monroe County Poor Farm/Asylum Index (1884-1953) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
Land and Property
- Monroe County Plat Book Index (1877, 1897, 1915, 1948) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Monroe County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Monroe County.
- Wisconsin National Guard Lists of Persons Liable for military Duty from Monroe County, Autumn, 1862 Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Civil War Veteran Census Index (1885-1905) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies A and G
- 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies H and I
World War I
- Monroe County World War I Draft Registration Card Index Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Monroe County Naturalization Records Index (1846-1946) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
Newspapers and Obituaries
- Monroe County Newspapers Index Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Historic Image & Photo Archive Monroe County Local History Room & Museum — over 13,000 Monroe County images and growing
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
- Monroe County Local History Room & Museum (MCLHR) is a county department with a research library, award-winning website with several genealogy databases, and museum dedicated to connecting people to the past in a meaningful way. Search the Monroe County Local History Room Archives Index to find archival material related to Monroe County families or the Monroe County Local History Room & Museum Website to see if records are available for family members with ties to Monroe County and the surrounding area. MCLHR also has some records connected to neighboring counties.
- Address: 200 West Main St, Sparta, WI 54656
- Located within the Museum Complex building: MCLHR is on the first floor, the Deke Slayton Memorial Space & Bicycle Museum is on the second floor.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:00am-4:30pm
- Telephone: 608-269-8680
- Address: 200 West Main St, Sparta, WI 54656
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Monroe County School Census Index (1925-1950) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum — often contains birth date and family member information
Monroe County Historical Society
PO Box 422
Sparta, WI 54656
Monroe, Jackson, Juneau Genealogical Workshop
1510 Eaton Ave
Tomah, WI 54660
Foundation for Eastern European Family History Studies
PO Box 321
Springville UT 84663
- Monroe County Birth Records Index (1850s-1944) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Monroe County Marriage Records Index (1854-1968) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Monroe County Death Records Index (1850s-1968) Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Monroe County Local History Room & Museum
- Monroe County Local History Room & Museum Facebook Page
- Monroe County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- WIGenWeb project
- USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Monroe County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).