Missouri Naturalization and Citizenship
|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1800-1991 Index and images, incomplete
- Missouri Digital Heritage Naturalization Records, 1816-1955 Index
- Missouri, Western District Naturalization Index, 1840-1990 Index ($)
- Missouri, Federal Naturalization Records, 1856-1942 index and images ($).
- Missouri, County Naturalization Records, 1883-1927 Images only, incomplete
Naturalization records have been filed primarily in the circuit courts. In earlier years naturalization information was included in the minutes and order books of various courts along with other court matters. Eventually the papers were kept in separate volumes with indexes. You may obtain copies of declarations, petitions, and certificates by contacting the clerk's office in each Missouri county courthouse.
- The Family History Library has copies of the records for some counties in the state. Search the FamilySearch Catalog for naturalization records under the county and state:
- MISSOURI,NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
- MISSOURI, [Name of County]–NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Missouri county naturalization records, click here.
- St. Louis Public Library owns these Naturalization Record microfilm sets:
- Index to Naturalizations, St. Louis Circuit Court, 1816-1905
- Naturalization Records, St. Louis Metropolitan Area, 1805-1926
- Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1800-1991 — index and images
- Missouri, Western District Naturalization Index, 1848-1990 at Ancestry.com $
In 1906 the Immigration and Naturalization Service (now United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) was created, forms were standardized and duplicate records were sent by the court to the INS. After 1906, most records are under the jurisdiction of a U.S. district court. To access these records, use the Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov. You may also search the FamilySearch Catalog for Missouri naturalization records, or contact the National Archives—Central Plains Region (Kansas City). The Archives maintains records from the U.S. Eastern District Court, 1907 to 1941, and the Western District Court, 1906 to 1924.
Missouri Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into the FamilySearch Wiki and is being updated as time permits.