Missouri, United States Genealogy
|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. This article is about the U.S. state of Missouri. For other uses, see Missouri (disambiguation).
Missouri Information[edit | edit source]
Missouri became the 21st state admitted to the United States on Aug. 10, 1821. Missouri was created from Missouri Territory. There are 114 counties in the state of Missouri and one independent city. The State Capital is Jefferson City. 
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Missouri Research
Links to articles on getting started with Missouri research.
Missouri Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Missouri research.
Missouri Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
Independent City: St. Louis City
Missouri Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Missouri Digital Heritage - vital records, land records, Civil War records, African-American community records, historical society newsletters, index to newspapers, census and naturalization records, and much more
- Cyndi's List - Missouri genealogy sites on the internet
- Missouri Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Missouri
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Missouri
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Missouri genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Missouri
- Missouri Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- MackleyGenealogy.com: has over 17,000 obituaries for Missouri (particularly the South-East portion) and it's free online. Some obituaries go as far back as 1830. Most of their obituaries are scanned copies of the actual obituary clippings.
- Every Name Index
- Pamela Boyer Porter and Ann Carter Fleming. Genealogical Research in Missouri National Genealogical Society Quarterly 87 (June 1999): 85-116. FHL 973 B2ng
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.