Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files, 1820-1927
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Cole, Missouri, |
|Flag of Missouri|
|Location of Cole County, Missouri|
|Location of Missouri|
|Record Type||Court Case Files|
- 1 What is In This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is In This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains digital images of case files primarily regarding disputed estates and divorces. It covers the years 1820 to 1927.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files, 1820-1927.|
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Amount of monies exchanged or paid
- Names of relatives, neighbors, or witnesses
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Case File Number and Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Missouri, Cole County, Circuit Court Case Files, 1823-1866. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for church and land records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Missouri.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.