Mississippi, Tippah County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mississippi, Tippah County Records, 1836-1923
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Tippah, Mississippi, United States|
|Flag of Mississippi|
|Location of Tippah, Mississippi|
|Location of Mississippi|
|Record Type||Land and Probate Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection includes deeds, chattel deeds (or moveable personal property), and probate case files for the years 1836 to 1923. The records are usually handwritten or handwritten on preprinted pages.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mississippi, Tippah County Records, 1836-1923.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Dates transactions (deeds) occurred, were written up, and recorded
- Names of grantors (sellers), grantees (buyers), and witnesses
- Residences of grantor(s) and grantee(s)
- Occupations of both grantor(s) and grantee(s)
- Persons mentioned as a minor
- Exact relationships stated in deeds for property sold or given away
- Legal documents such as Citations to Settle
- Court Orders
- County estate ledgers
Probate records include petitions, inventories, accounts, and decrees
Information generally found in entries may include:
- Name of testator or deceased
- Names of heirs such as spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Name of executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Residence of testator
- Document and recording dates (There are used to approximate event dates, i.e. a will was usually written near time of death.)
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for the family in Tippah County, land and probate records
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Mississippi, Tippah County Records, 1836-1923" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Tippah County Courthouse, Ripley.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.