Mississippi, Tippah County Family Histories (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mississippi, Tippah County Family Histories .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Tippah, Mississippi, United States|
|Flag of Mississippi|
|Location of Tippah, Mississippi|
|Location of Mississippi|
|Record Type||Family History Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of images of family history books housed at the Tippah County Development Foundation, Ripley, Mississippi. This collection is being published as images become available.
The Tippah County Development Foundation was organized to promote growth and prosperity for Tippah County by enhancing the educational and cultural lives of its citizens.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mississippi, Tippah County Family Histories.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The collection compiles the biographies, genealogies, and histories of the following personages and their descendants and related families:
- Allen Godwin
- Shadrick Deen Sr.
- Daniel, McAlister, Simmons, and Pegram Hine
- The Daniel Lineage
- James Martin and Priscilla Davis Martin
- Guilford Jackson Deen and Catherine Deen
- John Joseph Jefferson Shackleford vol. 1 and 2
The collection also includes the Macedonia (Deentown) Baptist Church 150th Anniversary Homecoming of 2000.
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page then:
- Select Book Title and Author
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Mississippi, Tippah County family histories. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, land and death records.
- Use the information to find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Search the indexes and records of Mississippi, United States Genealogy.
- Search in the Mississippi Archives and Libraries.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Mississippi, Tippah County Family Histories." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Tippah County Development Foundation, Ripley.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.