Minnesota State Census, 1895 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Minnesota State Census, 1895
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Minnesota, United States|
|Flag of Minnesota|
|Location of Minnesota|
|Record Type||State Census|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains the 1895 Minnesota State Census.
State censuses were taken in Minnesota every ten years beginning in 1865 through 1905. The census includes most individuals within the counties enumerated. The census was compiled to obtain a description and a count of the population of the state of Minnesota.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Minnesota State Census, 1895.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of each person who resided with family on 1 June 1895
- City and county where census was taken on 1 June 1895
- Age of each individual as of last birthday
- Gender of each person
- Color of each person
- Place of birth (U.S. state or territory or country, if foreign born)
- Length of residence in state in years, months
- Length of residence in enumeration district
- Whether a soldier or sailor during the Civil War
- Was father of foreign birth
- Was mother of foreign birth
- Was household previously enumerated
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate age of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor lived
- The names of family members who may have lived nearby
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Township/City/Town/Village/Ward to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Minnesota, State Census, 1895. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in the census, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for birth, marriage, and death records
- Search for the family in federal census records
- Search for church, land, and probate records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- There is also the possibility that a family was missed in the census
- Consult the Minnesota Record Finder to find other records
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Minnesota.
- Minnesota Guided Research
- Minnesota Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Minnesota State Census, 1895." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 1 November 2018. Citing Census Bureau. State Library and Records Service, St. Paul.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.