Minnesota State Census, 1875 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Minnesota State Census, 1875
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Minnesota|
|Location of Minnesota|
|Record Type||State Census|
|Minnesota Historical Society|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of indexes and images to the population schedules listing inhabitants of the State of Minnesota as of May 1, 1875.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Minnesota, State Census, 1875.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of each individual whose usual abode was in household as of 1 May 1875
- Individual’s age
- Individual’s gender
- Individual’s color
- Individual's place of birth (U.S. state or territory) or foreign country
- Nativity of each individual’s father
- Nativity of each individual's father
- If individual served in the military during the Civil War
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before you begin your search, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor lived
- The approximate age of your ancestor
- The names of family members who may have lived nearby
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Township/City/Town/Village/Ward to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for a birth records
- Search for the family in federal census records
- Search for church, land, and probate records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- There is also the possibility that a family was missed in the census
- Consult the Minnesota Record Finder to find other records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Minnesota.
- Minnesota Guided Research
- Minnesota Record Finder
- Minnesota Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Minnesota Research, 1880-Present
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.