Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1912-1959 (48 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Declarations of Intention, and Petitions for Citizenship|
|Record Group||RG 21: Records of the District Courts of the United States|
|National Archives Identifier||350|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collections in this publications
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 6 What Do I Do Next?
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This publications contains naturalization records from United States District and Circuit Courts for the state of Minnesota. The collections are from Record Group 21 Records of the District Courts of the United States and are from the National Archives Branch in Kansas City, Missouri.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Collections in this publications[edit | edit source]
United States District Court
- First Division. Winona. Naturalizations, 1896-1924 First Division Administrative History Note NARA
- Second Division. Mankato. Declarations of intention, 1906-1940; Naturalizations, 1897-1944 Second Division Administrative History Note NARA
- Third Division. St. Paul. Declarations of intention, 1872-1955; Naturalizations, 1859-1954 Third Division Administrative History Note NARA
- Fourth Division. Minneapolis. Declarations of intention, 1906-1962 Fourth Division Administrative History Note NARA
- Sixth Division. Fergus Falls. Naturalizations, 1897-1936 Sixth Division Administrative History Note. NARA
- Sixth Division. Naturalizations, 1896-1936; declarations of intention, 1896-1936
United States Circuit Court
- First Division. Winona. Naturalizations, 1897-1899; declarations of intentions, 1910
- Second Division. Mankato. Naturalizations, 1897-1911; declarations of intention, 1900-1911
- Third Division. St. Paul. Naturalizations, 1875-1911; declarations of intention, 1875-1911
- Fourth Division. Minneapolis. Naturalizations, 1890-1911; declarations of intention, 1890-1911
- Sixth Division. Fergus Falls. Declarations of Intention, 1890-1911
- Sixth Division. Fergus Falls. Naturalizations, 1897-1911
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Full Name
- Date filed
- Place of residence
- Birth date and place
- Date and place of arrival
- Name of vessel
- Name and place of court
- Marital status
- Wife's name and birthplace
- names and birth dates of children
- Former country of allegiance
- Affidavits of petitioner and witnesses
- Signature of person
- Witnesses' name, occupation, and address
- Court date
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Petition for Naturalization 1916
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s naturalization record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
Use those naturalization records to:
- Learn an immigrant’s place of origin
- Confirm their date of arrival
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, or ship’s manifests
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the names and for nicknames
- Try a different index if there is one for the years needed. You may also need to search the naturalization records year by year
- Search the indexes of nearby localities
- Consult the Minnesota Record Finder to find other records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Minnesota.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Minnesota Guided Research
- Minnesota Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.