Milton, Chittenden County, Vermont Genealogy
Milton was chartered on June 8, 1763. In February 1782, the town was first settled by William Irish, Leonard Owen, Amos Mansfield, Absalom Taylor, and Thomas Dewey.
For the most part, Milton is one of Burlington's bedroom communities, though an effort is underway to attract businesses to an industrial park on the site of the former Catamount Stadium, for many years the only place to be on a Saturday night if you were a stock car racing fan.
Old maps depict Snake or Rattlesnake Mountain on the town's northern line, names long since dropped in favor of the more pleasing Arrowhead Mountain, appropriate due to the presence in the town of an ancient Native flint quarry.  
- Milton's story : 1763-1976, Milton (Vt.). Bicentennial Committee (1976) - find this book in a library.
- Look around Colchester and Milton, Vermont, by Lilian Baker Carlisle and Christopher W Closs (1975) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Milton is Chittenden.
Chittenden District Probate Court
175 Main St.
PO Box 511
Burlington VT 05402
Phone: (802) 651-1518
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Milton. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Chittenden County, website at this link.
- Austin Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Checkerberry Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mars Hollow Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Milton Plains Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Milton Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Miltonboro Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- New West Milton Cemetery - Inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Old West Milton Cemetery - insriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Saint Anne's Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Trinity Episcopal Church Records, 1867-1946, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1948-2000, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Milton, Vermont Land Records, 1854-1901, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Milton Town Clerk's Office. These include Town and vital records, 1776-1811, 1850-May 2000; indexes, 1776 to 1968, and Deeds, 1788-1854; index to deeds, 1763-1935.
Milton Town Clerk
43 Bombardier Rd.
Mailing Address: PO Box 18
Milton VT 05468-3205
Phone: (802) 893-4111
Libraries and Historical Societies
Milton Public Library
39 Bombardier Road
Milton VT 05468
Phone: (80) 893-4644
Milton Historical Society
13 School St.
Milton, VT 05468
Phone: (802) 893-1604
- History of Milton, VT http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/ChittendenMilton.html
- Town of Milton, Vermont, http://www.miltonvt.org/about.html