|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- County Histories and Atlases, with biographies
- Michigan Biographical Index.
- Biographies & Memoirs in Michigan History
- Massachusetts Pioneers to the West Index, ($), index
- Michigan, a centennial history of the state and its people, ($), index
- Michigan Memories, 1837-87, ($), index
- Michigan Biographical Sketches, 1870-1900, ($), index
- Michigan pioneer experiences, 1710-1880 : with genealogical data and anecdotes, ($), index
- Portrait and biographical record of northern Michigan, containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States
- Michigan Biographical Index, use alphabetical links on the right side
- But men are more interesting than rivers : Michigan biography, e-book
- Men of Michigan, e-book
The Burton Historical Collection, the Bentley Historical Library, and the Library of Michigan (see the "Archives and Libraries" section for addresses) have extensive collections of biographical works. The Family History Library has several statewide and regional biographical encyclopedias. The following emphasize the territorial period, the Detroit area, and the Northern Peninsula:
- Loomis, Frances. Michigan Biography Index. 10 vols. Detroit, Michigan: Detroit Public Library, 1946. Reprint New Haven, Connecticut: Research Publications, 1973. (On 4 Family History Library films.) An important index to Michigan historical biographies. Online at http://www.michlist.com/.
- Michigan Biographies. Lansing, Mich.: Microform Systems, Inc., 198-? (Family History Library fiche 6334361.) Index to biographies, newspaper articles, and obituaries of notable individuals in Michigan.
- Callard, Carole, ed. Sourcebook of Michigan Census, County Histories, and Vital Records. Lansing, Michigan: Library of Michigan, 1986. (Family History Library book 977.4 A3sm; fiche 6101261.) County-by-county bibliography of biographies, local histories, and abstracts or indexes to census, church, probate, cemetery, and vital records.