Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Yucatán, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Yucatan|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church records for the state of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1977.
Often in Catholic Church records, separate books were kept for baptisms, confirmations, marriage information documents, marriages, and deaths. However, in smaller areas, all records may be recorded on one register. In larger parishes a separate book was usually maintained for confirmations, while in smaller parishes the confirmations may have been included with the baptisms. In larger parishes, most of the marriage banns (informaciones matrimoniales) may be registered separately. In smaller parishes, these records were included in the marriage entry or the confirmations may have been included with the baptisms or even with marriages. In larger parishes, a separate book of confirmations was usually maintained.
These records are in relatively fair condition, with the exception of some older records that may be damaged and, therefore, hard to read or missing some information. Most of the older records are handwritten in narrative style and follow a common text with some variations depending on the style used by the priest. Newer records are handwritten in formatted registers; some are even written in ledger style registers.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Spanish records, see the following guides:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
If you speak Spanish, the following free online lessons may be helpful to learn how to use the information in these records:
- Documentos esenciales para buscar a sus antepasados - Spanish
- Registros Civiles y Parroquiales – Spanish
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Baptism or confirmation records
Death or burial records
For additional details about these records and help using them see Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|Often additional information can be found in the margins of original records. For example in a baptismal record, you might find marriage or death information.|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select City or Town
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in 1930, Mexico National Census
- Compile information for every person who has the same surname as your ancestor; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
I Can’t Find The Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Mexico, Yucatán, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) are also a good substitute when church records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- A useful Coverage Table for Mexico Baptisms is available in the wiki article Mexico Baptisms, Coverage Table (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Also, consider looking at collections for surrounding localities. Campeche is to the southwest, and Quintana Roo is along the southeast
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Mexico Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "México, Yucatán, registros parroquiales y diocesanos, 1543-1977." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Yucatan (Catholic Church parishes, Yucatan).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.