Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Yucatán, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Yucatan|
What is in This Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1977. These records are written in Spanish.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977.|
Baptism or confirmation records may contain the following:
- Date and place of the baptism or confirmation
- Child's given name and gender
- Child's birth date and place
- Parents names
- Paternal and maternal grandparents' names
- Godparents' names
Marriage records may contain the following:
- Date and place of the marriage
- Name and age of groom
- Groom's legitimacy, baptismal date and confirmation date
- Groom's birth date and place of birth
- Groom's occupation, civil status and origin and residence
- Groom’s parents' names, their occupation and origin
- Name and age of bride
- Bride's legitimacy, baptismal date and confirmation date
- Bride's birth date and place of birth
- Bride's origin and residence
- Bride's parents' names
- Witnesses names, their age, occupation, civil status, and residence
- Length of time witnesses have known bride and groom
Death or burial records may contain the following:
- Date and place of death or burial
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Origin and residence of deceased
- Cause of death
- Spouse's name, if married
- Parents' names and their origin
- If their were children of deceased
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search by name by visiting the Collection Page: Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about them to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1909116|
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Parroquias Católicas, Yucatan (Catholic Church parishes, Yucatan).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.