Mexico, Sonora, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Sonora, Catholic Church Records, 1657-1994 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Sonora, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de Sonora, Mexico.|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Sonora|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection of parish records (such as baptism, marriage, death, and burial records) from several states in Mexico includes years from about 1657 to 1994.
Reading These Records
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Sonora, Catholic Church Records, 1657-1994.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
|Often additional information can be found in the margins of original records. For example in a baptismal record, you might find marriage or death information.|
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select the "City or Town"
- Select the "Parish" category
- Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Mexico, Sonora, Catholic Church records, 1657-1994. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
For Help Reading These Records
For help reading these Spanish records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Compile information for every person who has the same surname as your ancestor; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Baja California is to the northwest, Arizona to the north (and a little bit of New Mexico), Chihuahua to the east, and Sinaloa to the southeast
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back and see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections and notice the asterisk for recently added or updated records
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in 1930, Mexico National Census
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate Sonora Civil records
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name. Click here for a list of Spanish name abbreviations
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Mexico, Sonora, Catholic Church Records, 1657-1994." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Parroquias de la Iglesia Católica, Sonora (Catholic Church parishes, Sonora).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.