Mekusukey Academy (Oklahoma)
Mekusukey Academy was established in 1891 as a Christian school for Seminole and Creek boys. It was located three miles south and two miles west of present-day Seminole, Oklahoma. Several spellings of the name have been used in various records inventories and histories, including Mekosukey, Mekasukey, and Mekusekey.
The Academy closed, 31 December 1931, and later burned. Its location has been memorialized by the Oklahoma Historical Society with a marker on State Highway 59.
Oklahoma Historical Society has at least 30 volumes (over 64,000 pages) of records of the Mekusukey Academy, including:
- General records, 1902-1929
- Student files, 1910-1929
Some records of Mekusukey Academy may be embedded in the records of the Muskogee Area Office and the Five Civilized Tribes Agency, many of which are housed at the National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth).
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Mekuskey Academy, 1912-1930, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 81-82, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724299-1724300).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Oklahoma Historical Society. Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture.