McLeod County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to McLeod County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|McLeod County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1856|
|Address|| McLeod County Courthouse|
830 11th St
PO Box 127
Glencoe, MN 55336
McLeod County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
McLeod County, Minnesota Record Dates
Recorder has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1865, school census and land records.
County Administrator has divorce, probate and court records.
Veterans Service has military records. 
- 1856--McLeod County was created 1 March 1856 from Carver and Sibley Counties. County seat: Glencoe 
- For a brief history of how McLeod County was named, click here. Then select McLeod County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a list of cities and towns go to hometownlocator.com or wikipedia.com.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, McLeod – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for McLeod County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of McLeod County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from McLeod County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of McLeod County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as McLeod County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Online Minnesota Death Records & Indexes
Societies and Libraries
McLeod County Genealogical and Historical Society
380 School Road NW
Hutchinson, MN 55350
Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
Social Science 141
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McLeod County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).