McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to McDuffie County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|McDuffie County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||October 18, 1870|
|Address|| McDuffie County Courthouse|
337 Main Street
PO Box 158
Thomson, GA 30824-0028
McDuffie County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
McDuffie County, Georgia Record Dates
McDuffie County Courthouse
337 Main Street
PO Box 158
Thomson, GA 30824-0028
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records from 1872; Clerk Superior Court has divorce from 1872, court and land records from 1870.
Clerk of Superior Court
210 Railroad Street
P.O. Box 158
Thomson, GA 30824
Phone: (706) 595-2134
Fax: (706) 595-9150
Probate Court of McDuffie County
P.O. Box 2028
Thomson, GA 30824
Phone: 7(06) 595-2124
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following web site may have additional information on McDuffie County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- Quaker Records (Baptisms, Births, Marriages, Deaths) from Wrightsboro Meeting House, Thomson, Georgia Georgia Pioneers $
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy:
- Baker, Pearl. 1971. A handbook of history: McDuffie County, Georgia, 1870-1970. [Thomson, Ga.]: Progress-News Pub. Co. (page 19-23) 975.8632 H2b
- McCommons, Leila Boswell, and Clara Stovall. 1960. History of McDuffie County, Georgia, 1870-1933. [S.l.]: Mann Film Laboratories. film 220524
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (McDuffie County). 1960. Pension rolls, 1890-1938. [S.l.]: Mann Film Laboratories. film 220517
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1872-1885 - Wills 1872-1885 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Will Book AGeorgia Pioneers $
- 1871-1927 - Index to Inventories, Sales, Appraisements, Years' Support, 1871-1927 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1870 - 1876 - McDuffie County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1876. Batch M713291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877 - 1895 - McDuffie County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1877-1895. Batch M713292 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
PO Box 1816
Thomson, GA 30824-5816
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- McDuffie County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb McDuffie County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McDuffie County, Georgia. Page 158 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 41-42. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.