Massachusetts Naturalization and Citizenship
|Massachusetts Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1795-1925 - United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- United States, New England Petitions for Naturalization Index, 1791-1906
- United States, New England, Petitions for Naturalization, 1787-1906, Northeast Region (including Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont) Browse Only.
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Records, 1906-1917, index and images.
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Index, 1906-1966 Index.
- Index to Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. and District Courts for the District of Massachusetts, 1907-1966 ($)
- Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929 ($)
- Massachusetts, Petitions and Records of Naturalizations, 1906-1929 ($)
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Records - Originals, 1906-1929 ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Massachusetts, 1906-1911 - U.S. Circuit Court ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Massachusetts, 1906-1966 - U.S. District Court ($)
Naturalization records were filed in the various county and district courts of Massachusetts. The Family History Library has some microfilm copies of these records.
In the late 1930s, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) copied and indexed New England naturalization records for 1791 to 1906. The copies and index are at the National Archives Northeast Region (Boston). The National Archives in Washington, D.C., and the Family History Library have microfilm copies of the index:
- United States, Immigration and Naturalization Service. Index to New England Naturalization Petitions, 1791-1906. Washington, D.C.: The National Archives, 1983. FHL films 1429671-787.
Some of the records are more recent than 1906. The index gives the name and location of the court, the date of naturalization, and the volume and page number (or certificate number) of the naturalization record.
Also online at FamilySearch Historical Records. (Learn more.)
The Family History Library also has:
- United States, District Court (Massachusetts). Naturalization Index Cards, 1790–1926. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1985. FHL films 1420205-21 An index to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Circuit Court for Massachusetts. A letter M beside the petition number indicates that it is a military naturalization.
- Massachusetts. Secretary of the Commonwealth. Returns of Naturalization before Various Massachusetts Courts, 1885–1931. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993. FHL film 1901984 (first of 9 films) These documents are also at the Massachusetts State Archives. Most years have full name indexes. List name, age, occupation, residence, date of naturalization, and witnesses.
- Massachusetts. Secretary of the Commonwealth. Indexes to Returns of Naturalization, 1920–1923, 1924–1925. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994. FHL film 1940387 (first of 7 films) Card index is also available at the Massachusetts State Archives. Each index card typically lists name, residence (town), occupation, court, age, and date.
- United States. District Court (Massachusetts). Naturalization Records, 1906–1917. Washington, DC: National Archives, 1988. FHL films 1578248–302 Microfilms of originals are also in the National Archives in Washington, DC. Most volumes are individually indexed. Petitions list court district, name, residence, occupation, date and place of petition, port and date of embarkment, port of arrival, vessel, citizenship date, spouse, children, and their birth dates and places.
Post 1906 Records
National Archives—Northeast Region
Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center
380 Trapelo Road
Phone: (781) 663-0130
Fax: (781) 663-0154
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- United States New England Naturalization Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Massachusetts Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.