Massachusetts, United States Genealogy
|Massachusetts Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Massachusetts ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts entered the Union on February 6, 1788, as the sixth state. Massachusetts was created from Province of Massachusetts Bay and is located in the New England region of the United States. It is governed under its original constitution, which was adopted in 1780. Boston (also known as "The Hub" and "Beantown") became the capitol city of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. It has served as the state capitol since 1780. Massachusetts has 14 counties. 
Getting Started with Massachusetts Research
Links to articles on getting started with Massachusetts research.
Massachusetts Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Massachusetts research.
Massachusetts Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Obsolete Jurisdictions of Massachusetts: Cornwall (ME) · Devonshire (ME) · Dominion of New England · Dukes (NY) · Maine · Massachusetts Bay Colony · New Hampshire · New Netherland · Norfolk (old) · Plymouth Colony · Yorkshire (ME)
Massachusetts Migration Routes
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- Cyndi's List - Massachusetts genealogy sites on the internet
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Massachusetts
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Massachusetts genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "Massachusetts" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.