Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Mason County, Kentucky ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Social Security Records
- 2.27 Tax Records
- 2.28 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
Mason County was named for George Mason. The county is located in the northeastern area of the state.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Mason County, Kentucky Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- KY Biographies, Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites have additional information on Mason county cemeteries.
- Interment.net, Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Cemetery Junction, Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten, The Eastern State Hospital Project
Census Records[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- 1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850-1930, USGenWeb
- Census Images, USGenWeb
- KY Census Online, Links to online census records
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory, ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
Baptist[edit | edit source]
- Mayslick. Church records (1805-) are available at the University of Kentucky.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
- Abstracts of Early Kentucky Supreme Court Cases, KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Directories[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
African Americans[edit | edit source]
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records available
- The KY African American Griots Project
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- Sandi Gorin's Tips, Hangings in Kentucky 1792-1900
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
- [Anderson] Black, William. "Stokes-Anderson of Lunenburg County," in John Bennett Boddie, ed., Historical Southern Families, Vol. 2 (Redwood City, Calif., 1958), 217-225.
- [Anderson] Darnel, Michael R. "Which James Anderson Married Elizabeth Ligon?" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):163-170. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Asbury] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Bell] Ball, Helen A. Bell Family: The Bells of Mason County, Kentucky, Charles Bell and Daniel Bell, Including Descendants and Some Related Families. East Lansing, Mich.: H.A. Ball, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 B413bh
- [Collier] Boss, Lula Reed. Captain Thomas Collier of Charlotte County, Virginia, Including Records of Mason County, Kentucky. MSS. Microfilmed 1956. FHL Film 157151 Item 2
- [Day] DeVerter, Ruth Hendricks. The Day and Hendrix(cks) Families: Including Poe and Allied Lines: Bucks County, Pennsylvania; Baltimore and Cecil Counties, Maryland; Bracken and Mason Counties, Kentucky; Brown and Clermont County, Ohio; Wayne and Hendricks Counties, Indiana. Multi-volume. Baytown, Texas: R.H. DeVerter, 1963. FHL Book 929.273 H384d v. 3
- [Flinn] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of John Flinn (abt 1793) - Rebecca Reeves (abt 1795) of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: Taylor, R.J.Jr. Foundation, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F646t.
- [Heflin] Heflin, Donald L. Reuben Heflin of Somewhere in Virginia to Mason, Fleming & Mason counties, KY, 1785-1863. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H361hdd
- [Levi] Pearson, Spencer. Of Turkeys and Eagles. Corpus Christi, Texas: S. Pearson, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 P318p
- [McCracken] Everett, Jeanne McCracken. McCracken Family Records: Descendants of John McCracken and Elizabeth Wood 1784-1984: John McCracken & Elizabeth Wood were Married 1784 in Frederick, Maryland; Resided 1788-1817 in Mason County, Kentucky; and after 1817 in Daviess County, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1990. FHL Film beg. 1674175 Item 9.
- [Marshall] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Marshall] Prewitt, John Marshall. Marshall of King George Co., Va. and Mason Co., Ky: Berry -- Kercheval -- Roy and Connected Families. Cincinnati, Ohio: J.M. Prewitt, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 M355pj
- [Matthews] Matthews, Mitchell Dudley. Walter Matthews (1845-1930) of May's Lick, Mason County, Kentucky and His Descendants. 1968. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 353
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
- [Prichard] Prichard, Paul Preston. The Prichard Family: History and Genealogy of the Descendants, Antecedents and Collateral Relatives of Harmon and Nancy Purcell Prichard of Mason County, Kentucky. El Paso, Texas: P.P. Prichard, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 P931r
- [Randolph] Randolph, Blanche Willie Grace and Deborah Ann Kraemer Small. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia. Little Rock, Arkansas: B. Randolph, 1979. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Small, Deborah Ann Kraemer and Blanche Willie Grace Randolph. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia, Volume II. Winter Park, Florida: D. Small, 1989. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Raski, Arma, James Randolph, and Glenita Guthrie. Additions & Corrections to Vol. II, the Randolphs of Prince William Co., VA by Deborah K. Small. FHL 6075877
- [Reeves] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of Samuel Reeves, Sr. (1770/1780) - 1850: of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: E.M. Taylor, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 R259t
- [Robinson] Robinson, John Bunyan. The Adin Robinson Family and Collaterals. Libertyville, Ill., 1904. FHL Film 856108 Item 4; digital version at Google Books.
- [Rust] Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- [Tarvin] Torrey Alice Ellenor Herndon and Ronald Brennan. Tarvin Family Connections: Including Cowgill and Cracraft Families of Mason County and Campbell Co., Ky. Wilder, Ky.: R. Brennan, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 T179ta
- [Walton] Walton, Matt Savage. Chart, Direct Line of Descent and Other Documents Pertaining to the Walton Family of Mason County and Lexington, Kentucky. Typescript, 1940s. FHL Book 929.273 W173wm
- [Walton] Walton, John. "Job Walton of Fleming County, Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Mar. 1964):15-24. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 52
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- History of Maysville and Mason County. 1936. By Garrett Glenn Clift. Lexington, Kentucky : Transylvania Printing Co. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Ancestry ($); At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
- Military Resources, Revolutionary War through Civil War
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (Free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry— index (Free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
Regiments. Men in Mason County served in various regiments and companies. Those listed below were specifically formed in this county:
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 9th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, D, F, G, I, K and L.
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company C.
- - 16th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, G, H, I and K.
World War I[edit | edit source]
Korean War[edit | edit source]
- Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY, KYGenWeb
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- USNPL, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- World-Newspapers, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Footsteps Archives, KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Obituary Sources, KYGenWeb
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database, Compiled by Charles Browning.
- Kentucky Obituaries, USGenWeb
- Afrigeneas, African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot, Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times, Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Christian Advocate Death Abstracts
Other Records[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Postcards, USGenWeb
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records are held by the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977 for Caldwell, Henry, Hickman, Russell and Trimble counties. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774-1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry ($) — index and images
- 1791-1924 Will Books A to Z (1791-1924) digitized by FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- Images of Wills, Inventories, Deeds, Affidavits: 1791-1798; 1798-1809; 1809-1815 Kentucky Pioneers ($)
School Records[edit | edit source]
Social Security Records[edit | edit source]
- 1935-2014 United States Social Security Death Index at FamilySearch - How to use this collection; index. Also at Ancestry, findmypast, Fold3, GenealogyBank, MyHeritage, and Steve Morse. Click here for more information.
- 1936-2007 U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry ($) — index, click here for more information.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1790 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["1 volume of 1790 was used." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records, Ancestry ($)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Mason County Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Mason County Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1839-1960 – Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517731 at FamilySearch
- 1874 - Mason County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517732 at FamilySearch
- 1911-1912 - Searchable KY Birth Index
- 1911-1999 Kentucky Births, 1911-1999 at MyHeritage ($) — index
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1609-2016 - Kentucky, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1785-1979 – Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1789-1805 - Mason County Marriage Index 1789-1805. Batch M539871 at FamilySearch
- 1804-1860 - Mason County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1804-60 Vol. II-VI at Ancestry ($)
- 1806-1819 - Mason County Marriage Index 1806-1819. Batch M539872 at FamilySearch
- 1820-1837 - Mason County Marriage Index 1820-1837. Batch M539873 at FamilySearch
- 1852-1855 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1855. Batch M539876 at FamilySearch
- 1852-1860 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M539875 at FamilySearch
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517731 at FamilySearch
- 1859-1864 - Mason County Marriage Index 1859-1864. Batch M539878 at FamilySearch
- 1864-1866 - Mason County Marriage Index 1864-1866. Batch M539879 at FamilySearch
- 1866-1872 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1872. Batch M539881 at FamilySearch
- 1866-1897 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1897. Batch M539887 at FamilySearch
- 1866-1949 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1949. Batch M539886 at FamilySearch
- 1872-1879 - Mason County Marriage Index 1872-1879. Batch M539882 at FamilySearch
- 1879-1885 - Mason County Marriage Index 1879-1885. Batch M539883 at FamilySearch
- 1885-1892 - Mason County Marriage Index 1885-1892. Batch M539884 at FamilySearch
- 1892-1896 - Mason County Marriage Index 1892-1896. Batch M539885 at FamilySearch
- Marriage Bonds, Mason County, Kentucky. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 1973-2000 - Searchable KY Marriage Records
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973-2000
- 1960-1993 Kentucky Marriages, 1960-1993 at MyHeritage ($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1843-1970 – Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1900-1999 Kentucky Deaths, 1900-1999 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1911-1965 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1965 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index
- 1911-2000 - Searchable KY Death Index
- United States Social Security Death Index - How to Use this Collection
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project, Transcriptions and Images of Kentucky Death Certificates
Divorce[edit | edit source]
- 1973-1993 - Kentucky Divorce Records 1973-1993, University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
Listed below are archives in Mason County. For state-wide archival repositories, see Kentucky Archives and Libraries.
- Archives of Appalachia
East Tennessee State University
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Listed below are libraries in Mason County. For state-wide library facilities, see Kentucky Archives and Libraries.
Museums[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
Listed below are societies in Mason County. For state-wide genealogical societies, see Kentucky Societies.
- Mason County Historical Society
319 West Third Street
Maysville, KY 41056-1016
- Mason County Genealogical Society
PO Box 266
Maysville, KY 41056
- Kentucky Gateway Museum Center
215 Sutton St
Maysville, KY 41056-1186
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Mason County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mason County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Mason County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- FamilySearch Catalog . Free - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kentucky. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mason County, Kentucky" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_County,_Kentucky."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mason County, Kentucky page 273, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mason County, Kentucky. Page 268-276 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 251-254.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kentucky. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mason County, Kentucky," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_County%2C_Kentucky, accessed 31 August 2018.
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.