Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Mason County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mason County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||November 5, 1788|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 4.18 Societies and Libraries
- 5 References
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Bates||Manley (hist.)||Old Washington||South Ripley|
|Charlestown Bottom (hist.)||Marshall||Orangeburg||Springdale|
|Country Club Heights||Mays Lick||Plumville||Taylors Mill|
|Helena||Mount Gilead||Shawnee Hill|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
The following web sites have additional information on Mason county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- ePodunk list of Mason County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Anderson] Black, William. "Stokes-Anderson of Lunenburg County," in John Bennett Boddie, ed., Historical Southern Families, Vol. 2 (Redwood City, Calif., 1958), 217-225.
- [Anderson] Darnel, Michael R. "Which James Anderson Married Elizabeth Ligon?" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):163-170. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Asbury] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Bell] Ball, Helen A. Bell Family: The Bells of Mason County, Kentucky, Charles Bell and Daniel Bell, Including Descendants and Some Related Families. East Lansing, Mich.: H.A. Ball, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 B413bh
- [Collier] Boss, Lula Reed. Captain Thomas Collier of Charlotte County, Virginia, Including Records of Mason County, Kentucky. MSS. Microfilmed 1956. FHL Film 157151 Item 2
- [Day] DeVerter, Ruth Hendricks. The Day and Hendrix(cks) Families: Including Poe and Allied Lines: Bucks County, Pennsylvania; Baltimore and Cecil Counties, Maryland; Bracken and Mason Counties, Kentucky; Brown and Clermont County, Ohio; Wayne and Hendricks Counties, Indiana. Multi-volume. Baytown, Texas: R.H. DeVerter, 1963. FHL Book 929.273 H384d v. 3
- [Flinn] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of John Flinn (abt 1793) - Rebecca Reeves (abt 1795) of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: Taylor, R.J.Jr. Foundation, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F646t; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Heflin] Heflin, Donald L. Reuben Heflin of Somewhere in Virginia to Mason, Fleming & Mason counties, KY, 1785-1863. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H361hdd
- [Levi] Pearson, Spencer. Of Turkeys and Eagles. Corpus Christi, Texas: S. Pearson, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 P318p
- [McCracken] Everett, Jeanne McCracken. McCracken Family Records: Descendants of John McCracken and Elizabeth Wood 1784-1984: John McCracken & Elizabeth Wood were Married 1784 in Frederick, Maryland; Resided 1788-1817 in Mason County, Kentucky; and after 1817 in Daviess County, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1990. FHL Film beg. 1674175 Item 9.
- [Marshall] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Marshall] Prewitt, John Marshall. Marshall of King George Co., Va. and Mason Co., Ky: Berry -- Kercheval -- Roy and Connected Families. Cincinnati, Ohio: J.M. Prewitt, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 M355pj
- [Matthews] Matthews, Mitchell Dudley. Walter Matthews (1845-1930) of May's Lick, Mason County, Kentucky and His Descendants. 1968. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 353
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
- [Prichard] Prichard, Paul Preston. The Prichard Family: History and Genealogy of the Descendants, Antecedents and Collateral Relatives of Harmon and Nancy Purcell Prichard of Mason County, Kentucky. El Paso, Texas: P.P. Prichard, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 P931r
- [Randolph] Randolph, Blanche Willie Grace and Deborah Ann Kraemer Small. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia. Little Rock, Arkansas: B. Randolph, 1979. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Small, Deborah Ann Kraemer and Blanche Willie Grace Randolph. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia, Volume II. Winter Park, Florida: D. Small, 1989. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Raski, Arma, James Randolph, and Glenita Guthrie. Additions & Corrections to Vol. II, the Randolphs of Prince William Co., VA by Deborah K. Small. FHL 6075877
- [Reeves] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of Samuel Reeves, Sr. (1770/1780) - 1850: of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: E.M. Taylor, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 R259t
- [Robinson] Robinson, John Bunyan. The Adin Robinson Family and Collaterals. Libertyville, Ill., 1904. FHL Film 856108 Item 4; digital version at Google Books.
- [Rust] Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- [Tarvin] Torrey Alice Ellenor Herndon and Ronald Brennan. Tarvin Family Connections: Including Cowgill and Cracraft Families of Mason County and Campbell Co., Ky. Wilder, Ky.: R. Brennan, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 T179ta
- [Walton] Walton, Matt Savage. Chart, Direct Line of Descent and Other Documents Pertaining to the Walton Family of Mason County and Lexington, Kentucky. Typescript, 1940s. FHL Book 929.273 W173wm
- [Walton] Walton, John. "Job Walton of Fleming County, Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Mar. 1964):15-24. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 52
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 9th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, D, F, G, I, K and L.
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company C.
- - 16th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, G, H, I and K.
World War I
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1791-1924 - Will Books A to Z (1791-1924) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1790 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["1 volume of 1790 was used." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1839-1960 - KY Births and Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Mason County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517732 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1783-1979 - KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1789-1805 - Mason County Marriage Index 1789-1805. Batch M539871 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1804-1860 - Mason County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1804-60 Vol. II-VI at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- 1806-1819 - Mason County Marriage Index 1806-1819. Batch M539872 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1820-1837 - Mason County Marriage Index 1820-1837. Batch M539873 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1852-1855 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1855. Batch M539876 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1852-1860 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M539875 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517731 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1859-1864 - Mason County Marriage Index 1859-1864. Batch M539878 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1864-1866 - Mason County Marriage Index 1864-1866. Batch M539879 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1866-1872 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1872. Batch M539881 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1866-1897 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1897. Batch M539887 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1866-1949 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1949. Batch M539886 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1872-1879 - Mason County Marriage Index 1872-1879. Batch M539882 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1879-1885 - Mason County Marriage Index 1879-1885. Batch M539883 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1885-1892 - Mason County Marriage Index 1885-1892. Batch M539884 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1892-1896 - Mason County Marriage Index 1892-1896. Batch M539885 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- Marriage Bonds, Mason County, Kentucky. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1843-1970 - KY Deaths and Burials ~ KY Deaths and Burials 1843 - 1970
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- 1973-1993 - KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Societies and Libraries
Mason County Historical Society
319 West Third Street
Maysville, KY 41056-1016
Mason County Genealogical Society
PO Box 266
Maysville KY 41056
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Mason County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mason County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Mason County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mason County, Kentucky page 273, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.