Maryland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Maryland, United States|
|Flag of Maryland|
|Location of Maryland|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection is an electronic index of marriages for the years 1666 to 1970 taken from the following sources:
- Indexed church records
- Civil registrations
- The Internet indexing project sponsored by the LDS Church
Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information.This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Theses records include:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
The records may also contain the following:
- Parents' names
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Maryland marriages, click here.
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1650-1995||Marriages, 1666-1970||Deaths and Burials, 1877-1992|
|Baltimore (Independent City)||9,203||3,102||0|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of the event or the name of a spouse or parent
Search the Index
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Maryland marriage records. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and death records
- Search for immigration, military, land and probate records
- Use the information to find additional family members in census records
- Search for church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record. Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Try variant spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 5 July 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.