Martinique, France Genealogy
|Martinique Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Getting Started with Martinique Research
Links to articles on getting started with Martinique research.
Martinique Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Martinique research.
Martinique, France Map
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Martinique. Arrondissements:
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Martinique. Martinique is divided into four arrondissements:
- La Trinité
- Le Marin
Online Church Records and Civil Registration
The vast majority of your research will be in church records and civil registration. Fortunately, these records are available online from the archives of each department.
Finding Church Records and Civil Registration Online
Each Department of France has archives that provide digitized images of these records.
Here is the website for the Department Archives of Martinique where you will find these records.
National Overseas Archives, Martinique
Learning to Read Enough French to Do Genealogy
It's easier than you think! You do not have to be fluent in French to use these records, as there is only a limited vocabulary used in them. By learning a few key phrases, you will be able to read them adequately. Here are some resources for learning to read French records.
There is a three-lesson course in reading handwriting in old French records:
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 1: The French Alphabet,
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 2: Key Words and Phrases
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 3: Reading French Records
These lessons focus on reading church record and civil registration records:
Another resource is the French Records Extraction Manual, Full Manual. Much more is covered, but these first four lessons are especially useful.
- Chapter 1: OLD FRENCH RECORDS
- Chapter 2: PARISH CHRISTENING AND CIVIL BIRTH ENTRIES
- Chapter 3: MARRIAGE ENTRIES
- Chapter 4: OTHER ENTRIES
- Chapter 5: FRENCH HANDWRITING AND SPELLING
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Martinique," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinique, accessed 27 April 2016.