Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Martin County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Martin County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address||Martin County Courthouse|
201 Lake Ave
Fairmont, MN 56031-1845
Martin County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Henry Martin, a pioneer settler. The County is located in the southwest area of the state. 
Martin County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Recorder has birth records from 1874,
marriage records from 1864, death records from 1879
and land records.
Court Administrator has divorce,
probate, and court records. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
- 1857--Martin County was created 23 May 1857 from Brown and Faribault Counties. County seat: Fairmont 
- For a brief history of how Martin County was named, click here. Then select Martin County.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
Grace Lutheran Church, Fairmont
- Records of Grace Lutheran Church, Fairmont, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Olaf Lutheran Church
- Records of St. Olaf Lutheran Church, Martin County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Martin – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Family Maps of Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Birth[edit | edit source]
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Martin County Genealogical Society
222 E. Blue Earth Ave.
Martin County Historical Society
304 East Blue Earth Avenue
Sherburn Area Historical Society
333 Fox Lake Ave Apt 6
Sherburn MN 56171-9651
Truman Historical Society
PO Box 353
Truman MN 56088-0353
Southern Minnesota Historical Center
Mankato State University
Mankato, MN 56001
Family History Centers
[edit | edit source]
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Martin County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_County,_Minnesota accessed 13 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Martin County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Martin County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.