Marshall County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Marshall County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marshall County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
|Address|| Marshall County Courthouse|
1 E Main St
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Marshall County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 References
The County was named for John Marshall. The County has Marshalltown as its seat and the County was created 1846. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Marshall County, Iowa Record Dates
Picture of the courthouse at:
1846--Marshall County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Jasper and Linn Counties prior to organization 1 October 1849. County seat: Marshalltown 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
- Jasper, Marshall, and Grundy Counties, Iowa Biographical Dictionary at Ancestry.com ($)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
611 North Center Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158-1618
Rose Hill Memorial Gardens
602 Iowa Avenue Ease
(Iowa Avenue is old Highway 30)
Marshalltown, IA 50158-4779
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Marshalltown, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Marshall County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Description and history of Marshall County, Iowa, 1862. By Taylor and Barnhart. Marshalltown, Iowa : Taylor & Barnhart, . Online at: FamilySearch Books Online; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- The History of Marshall County, Iowa : containing a history of the county, its cities, town, &c., a biographical directory of citizens, war records of its volunteers.. Chicago, Illinois : Western Historical Co., 1878. Online at; FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, HathiTrust.
- Past and present of Marshall County, Iowa. By William Battin and F. A. Moscrip. Indianapolis, Indiana : B.F. Bowen, 1912. Vol. 1 Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Google Books, HathiTrust; At various libraries (WorldCat). Vol. 2 FamilySearch Books Online, Google Book, HathiTrust.
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the Counties. Chicago, IL, USA: Biographical Publishing, 1894. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Marshall County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company B
- - 4th Independent Battery, Iowa Light Artillery,
- - 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
- - 11th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 44th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- Marshall County Time. 1858. Marshall, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Marshall - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch - index
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1921-1940 - Iowa, Death Records, 1921-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Central Iowa Genealogical Society
serving Marshall County, Iowa
PO Box 945
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158
Historical Society of Marshall County
202 E. Church Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Marshalltown Iowa Family History Center 703 S12th St., Marshalltown, IA 50158 United States Location Map
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||Select from research collection topics|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "marshall county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "marshall county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|genealogytrails.com||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|Marshall County IA at LDS Genealogy||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Marshall County Message Board|
- Wikipedia contributors, "Marshall, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_County,_Iowa."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).