Markington, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Markington, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Yorkshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Ripon|
|Parish registers: 1844|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1865|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - York; Post-1835 - Ripon|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MARKINGTON, with Wallerthwaite, a township, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 4¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Ripon. The church of St. Michael, in the township, consecrated in October, 1844. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.  Markington was historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Markington Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Yorkshire|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Yorkshire ($)|
|Find My Past Bishop's Transcripts-Yorkshire ($)|
|Find My Past Banns-Yorkshire ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England (Early)-West Riding ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England (Late)-West Riding ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - West Riding of Yorkshire ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Yorkshire ($)
- 1611-1861 Archdeaconry of Richmond, England, Church of England Marriage Bonds, 1611-1861 at Ancestry – index & images ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.