Marathon County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Marathon County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marathon County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||February 9, 1850|
|Address|| Marathon County Courthouse|
500 Forest Street
Wausau, WI 54403
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Insane Asylum and Poor Farm
- 5.14 Land and Property
- 5.15 Maps
- 5.16 Migration
- 5.17 Military History and Records
- 5.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.19 Newspapers
- 5.20 Obituaries
- 5.21 Periodicals
- 5.22 Probate Records
- 5.23 Repositories
- 5.24 Societies
- 5.25 Taxation
- 5.26 Vital Records
- 5.27 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Marathon County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Marathon County Courthouse
500 Forest Street
Wausau, WI 54403
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
† Only partially in Marathon County.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Marathon County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1905 - 1905 Marathon County Census-- Index of handwritten cards from the 1905 county census. Search results include surname, first name, age, location, and a link to the detailed record. A copy of the original census information can be ordered. Note that each record in the original census contains surname, location, first name, relationship, sex, race, age, marital status, birthplace, parent's birthplace, occupation and notes.
- Census substitute - Early Wausau City Directories. 1883, 1886, 1888, 1893, 1910, 1912, 1914 city directories are included in this index. The Marathon County Historical Society will provide a copy of the original city directory record for a fee. The Family History Library has addtional early Wausau city directories on film.
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
FuneralHomes has list of funeral homes and history of Funeral Homes in Marathon County,(mostly Wausau) along with the addresses and whether or not records can be read there
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available from the Marathon County Historical Society. This collection of histories indexed and is searchable by surname or business name.
Wimarath Stories has links to many various stories, interviews, histories of towns, etc.
Insane Asylum and Poor Farm
Information about the history of the Asylum and Poor Farm comes from copies of materials at the Marathon County Historical Library, 410 McIndoe, Wausau,WI Wimarath Insane covering years 1893 - 1971
Land and Property
- General Land Office Records, Bureau of Land Management
- Marathon County Online Land Records
- Marathon County Register of Deeds
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Marathon County - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- Marathon County (1878) - David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- Wausau (1878) - David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Marathon County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Marathon County.
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Companies D and F
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company G
- Marathon County Veterans Service Office
- Wimarath Military shows all the various wars' records available for Marathon County and links to their sites
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Record Review - covers Athens, Edgar, Marathon and Stratford.
- Tribune-Phonograph - covers Abbotsford, Colby, Curtiss, Dorchester, Milan and Unity.
- Wausau Daily Herald
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Marathon County Historical Society
Marathon County Genealogical Society
Marathon County Historical Society
Wisconsin Government Vital Records General Request lists earliest registration dates by county
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Marathon County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Marathon County, WIGenWeb Project
- Marathon County, USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Marathon County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).