Malheur County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Malheur County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Malheur County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1887|
|Address|| Malheur County Courthouse|
251 B Street W
Vale, Or 97918
Malheur County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Neighboring Counties
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Archives and Libraries
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 History
- 5.8 Land and Property
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Migration
- 5.11 Military History and Records
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Probate Records
- 5.14 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.15 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 Malheur County Oregon Genealogy References
The County was named for Malheur River, which runs through the county. "Malheur" is French for misfortune or tragedy. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Malheur County, Oregon Record Dates
County Clerk has marriage, probate, and land records from 1887. 
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
|Native American communities|
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. Trivia Tidbits
Archives and Libraries
Trivia Tidbits: Little biographic bits associated with the names of non-population localities.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Early migration routes to and from Malheur County, Oregon Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. Rivers and Waterways
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Many early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Malheur County Historical Society
1186 SW Sixth Ave
Ontario, OR 97914-3310
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Malheur County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Malheur County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives (backup site]
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
Malheur County Oregon Genealogy References
- Wikipedia contributors, "Malheur, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malheur_County,_Oregon accessed 28 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Malheur County, Oregon page 573, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Malheur County Oregon," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malheur_County,_Oregon, accessed 28 November 2018.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map V" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap5.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).