Maine Naturalization and Citizenship
|Maine Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- New England, Petitions for Naturalization, 1787-1906 Records.
- New England, Petitions for Naturalization, 1791-1906 Index.
- Maine, County Naturalization Records, 1800-1990 Images only.
- Maine, Bath, Seamen's Proofs of Citizenship, 1833-1868 — index and images
- Maine, Naturalization Records - Originals, 1906-1929 ($)
- 1833-1868 Maine, Bath, Seamen's Proofs of Citizenship, 1833-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1718-1957 - Maine, State Archive Collections, 1718-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Maine State Archives
- National Archives Northeast Region (Boston) at http://www.archives.gov/northeast/boston/
- National Archives at http://www.archives.gov
- Citizenship and Immigration Services]
- Record Collection 1840474
Wiki articles describing online collections is found at:
- Maine State Archive Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine, Washington County Courthouse Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- United States New England Naturalization Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Applications for citizenship before 1906 could be filed in any county, state, or federal court in Maine. Some immigrants went to the office of the selectmen in their towns. The Maine State Archives is gathering all pre-1930 Maine court records, including declarations, petitions, and oaths. The Family History Library has naturalization records for many of the Maine counties.
In the late 1930s, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) copied and indexed New England naturalization records for 1791 to 1906. The copies and index are at the National Archives—New England Region. The National Archives in Washington, D.C., and the Family History Library have microfilm copies of the index:
- United States, Immigration and Naturalization Service. Index to New England Naturalization Petitions, 1791-1906. Washington, D.C.: The National Archives, 1983. FHL films 1429671-787.
Some of the records are more recent than 1906. The index gives the name and location of the court, the date of naturalization, and the volume and page number (or certificate number) of the naturalization record.
Also on line at FamilySearch Historical Records
- United States District Court (Maine), Index to declarations of intention and index to naturalization petitions [Maine], 1906-1955 (SLC, Utah, 2004) FHL film 2371828 item 2 (first of 7 films)
- United States Circuit Court and District Court, Naturalization Records (Maine), 1790-1945 : NARA, RG21 (SLC, Utah, 2008) FHL film 2429180 item 2 (first film)
Maine Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.