Maine, World War I Draft Registration Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Maine, World War I Draft Registration Index, 1917-1919
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Maine|
|Location of Maine|
|Record Type||Selective Service Registration|
|Maine State Archives, Augusta, Maine|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection includes card indexes to draft registrations in Maine during World War I acquired from the Maine State Archives. The index includes name, age, place and date of birth, marital status, residence, nationality, race, occupation, local board, relatives’ names and residence. The collection includes records from 1917 to 1919.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Maine, World War I Draft Registration Index,1917-1919 Digital Folder Number List
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- Some other identifying information such as birth date or residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Maine World War I Draft Registration Index Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the residence to search for the soldier’s family in census, church, and land records
- Use the information on the card to obtain the full military record
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may also have served in World War I
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maine.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning United States World War I Research
- Maine Guided Research
- Maine Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Soldiers index by Town; Draft Registration Index
- Maine, World War I American Expeditionary Forces, deaths, 1917-1919
- Maine, World War I Selective Service System draft registration cards, 1917-1918
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States, World War I Draft Registration Cards
- United States, World War I American Expeditionary Forces Deaths, 1917-1919
- United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- United States, Enlisted and Officer Muster Rolls and Rosters, 1916-1939
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Maine Adjutant General. Roster of Maine in the military service of the United States and allies in the World War, 1917-1919.Augusta, Maine : Adjutant General of Maine, 1929. 2 volumes.
- Maine. Adjutant General. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Maine for the period of the World War, 1917-1919.Augusta, Maine : Adjutant General of Maine, 1929. 2 volumes.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.