Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Knox, Maine, United States|
|Flag of Maine|
|Location of Knox County, Maine|
|Location of Maine|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of images of records from several cemeteries in Knox County, Maine for the years 1800 to 2007. The collection currently includes cemeteries from the Town of Thomaston.
Cemeteries begin keeping records as soon as they are opened. The purchase of a burial plot is a land transaction and is recorded with a deed. Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot. The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of Cemetery
- Location of grave(s) including Section and Lot number
- Names of all individuals in burial plot
- Date of death
- Designation if grave is a veteran's grave
- Designation whether plot is full or half
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Images in this collection are available for viewing if you are a registered FamilySearch user. You can register for a free FamilySearch account here.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
How Do I Search This Collection
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the deceased
- The approximate date of death
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Cemetery in Knox County
- Select the Record type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Once you have located your ancestor’s card, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Compare what information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person. Next, look at the pieces of information given in the burial record for new information. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records
- Use the locality and relative’s names to locate church and land records
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral records which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname, this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Check for an index. There are often indexes created by the court or local historical and genealogical societies
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maine.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 19 September 2018. Thomaston City Offices.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.