Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Madison Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 19, 1838|
|Address||100 North Cedar Street|
Tallulah, LA 71282
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Directories
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for James Madison. The County has Tallulah as its seat and the County was created 1838. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Madison Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Madison Parish Courthouse
100 N Cedar Street
Tallulah, LA 71282
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1866, divorce and land records from 1839, probate records from 1850 and court records from 1882.
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Possible record destruction due to courthouse fire on an unknown date.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Index of Madison Parish Biographies Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison Parish Biographies (LAGenWeb)
- Madison Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Madison Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
|Madison Parish Census Data|
- Madison Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison Parish Census Data (LAGenWeb)
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project}
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Court[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
- Old Tallulah Phonebooks (LAGenWeb)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- 1875-1979 - Madison Parish Plantations and Landowners (LAGenWeb)
- Madison Parish, Louisiana, Earliest Landowners (LAGenWeb)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- History of Madison Parish, 1928 (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison Parish, Louisiana, Articles of Historic Interest (LAGenWeb)
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - http://genealogytrails.com/lou/madison/1883_pensioners.html Madison Parish Military Pensioners, 1883] (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 6th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, Louisiana Militia(Confederate),
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company B
- - Moody's Company, Louisiana Artillery (Madison Light Artillery) (Confederate),
Civil War Battle[edit | edit source]
The following Civil War battle was fought in Madison Parish:
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Madison Parish, World War I Draft Data (LAGenWeb Project)
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Army Enlistments and Reserves, Madison Parish (LAGenWeb)
- World War II and Korean War Madison Parish Draft Board Scrapbooks LAGenWeb)
- Madison Parish Casualties in World War II (USGenWeb Archives)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Index to Madison Parish Newspaper Articles (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison Parish Old Newspaper Articles (LAGenWeb Program)
- Madison Parish Newspaper Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Index to Madison Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Madison Parish LA Obituaries (LAGenWeb Project)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
Schools[edit | edit source]
- Tallulah Schools - Lists & Photos (LAGenWeb Project)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
- 1865-1866 - Madison Parish 1865-66 US IRS Tax Assessments (LAGenWeb)
- 1879, 1881 - Madison Parish Tax Rolls 1879 & 1881 (LAGenWeb)
- 1885, 1890 - Madison Parish Tax Rolls 1885 & 1890 (LAGenWeb)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Madison Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1866-1900 - Madison Parish Marriage Records, 1866-1900 (LAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Madison Parish Weddings (LAGenWeb)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1860 Mortality Index. Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1860 in the Parish of Madison, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1900-1949 - Madison Parish, Louisiana: Deaths: 1900-1949 (LAGenWeb)
- 1940-1945 - Williams Funeral Home Ledger, Tallulah, LA, 1940-1945 (LAGenWeb)
- Madison Parish Social Security Death Records through 2011 (LAGenWeb)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Madison Parish Historical Society
100 South Chestnut Street
Tallulah, LA 71282-4202
- Madison Historical Society
PO Box 268
Tallulah, LA 71284
- Hermione House Museum
315 Mulberry Street
Tallulah, LA 71282
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Madison Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Madison Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Madison Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Madison Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Madison Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Madison, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Madison Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State