Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Madison County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Education
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Madison County Courthouse
P O Box 66
Marshall, NC 28753
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records
Clerk Superopr Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1851
Register of Deeds
PO Box 66
Marshall, NC 28753
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 217
Marshall, NC 28753
Telephone: (828) 649-2200
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Freedman Bank Records, 1865-1874 - search this freely available database for bank records of African-American individuals. This database includes records from all 29 branches of the bank. North Carolina bank locations included Wilmington, Raleigh & New Bern.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Mars Hill College yearbooks - from 1917-2011; digitized by the NC Digital Heritage Center
- Madison County College Students - a name list of students at various NC colleges with identified hometowns in the county
- Military records at the Madison County NCGenWeb Archives
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company B
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
- - 5th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
- - 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company D
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Madison county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress. If you find a paper of interest on microfilm, you may be able to request it via Interlibrary Loan with your local public library.
- Madison County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- See the "Deaths" category in the Vital Records section for information on obituaries
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1851 - 1952 - Will Books A to C (1851-1952) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Wills and Estate records of Madison County - on the NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1799 - 1893 - Madison County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website
- 1851 - 1969 - Madison County Marriage Books 1-4 Index 1851-1969. Batch M752094 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Obituaries from The Record and The French Broad News - being placed online by the Madison County Genealogical Society; an ongoing project.
- Madison County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Buncombe County Genealogical Society
128 Bingham Road, Suite 950
Asheville, North Carolina 28806
Telephone Number: 828-253-1894
Madison County Genealogical Society
PO Box 155
Mars Hill, NC 28754-0155
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Madison County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Madison County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.