Madison County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Madison County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 26, 1827|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Immigration
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Madison County, Florida Record Dates
Madison County Courthouse
PO Box 237
Madison, FL 32341
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, probate and court records from 1838
land records from 1831 and divorce records. 
The county was named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States. The County Seat is Madison and the county was created December 26, 1827. The County is located in the Northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1876 and 1912 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
The following web site may have additional information on Madison County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Madison County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Madison County Clerk of Courts covers both Circuit and County Court records, including Probate Court. They are also responsible for the county marriage and divorce records.
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Madison County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861 - 1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Madison County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885 - 1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Madison County Confederate Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Madison County Civilian Registration, Surnames Adams-Cushion (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Madison County Civilian Registration, Surnames Dadwildey-Howland (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Madison County Civilian Registration, Surnames Hubbard-Mizell (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Madison County Civilian Registration, Surnames Mobley-Spradley (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Madison County Civilian Registration, Surnames Stallworth-Zipperer (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1920 - Florida, World War I Navy Card Roster, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- Madison County World War II Army Enlistees, Names A-G (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison County World War II Army Enlistees, Names H-P (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison County World War II Army Enlistees, Names R-Z (USGenWeb Archives)
- Madison County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Madison County, Florida Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). The Madison Enterprise and the Madison County Carrier are published by Greene Publishing, Inc., 1695 South South SR 53, Madison, FL 32340, or P.O. Drawer 772, Madison, FL 32341. Phone (850) 973-4141.
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Madison County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Madison County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Contact the Madison County Appraisors for land and tax information.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
Madison County Florida Genealogical Society
115-117 West Base Street
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Madison County Library
- Madison County Genealogical Society, PO Box 136, Madison, FL 32340
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Madison County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Madison County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Madison County Official Website
- Madison County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Madison County FLGenWeb Project
- Florida Memory Project from the State Library and Archives of Florida
- FamilySearch Catalog
- State of Florida
- Madison County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Madison County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Madison County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, Florida Page 135 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Madison County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/madison/ accessed 04/25/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Madison County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_County,_Florida 04/25/2017.