Ludham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Ludham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1583|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
LUDHAM (St. Catherine), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 13 miles (N. E. by E.) from Norwich.  Also includes or is known as How Hill.
Ludham St Catherine is an Ancient parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
When King Canute founded St. Benet's Abbey in the 11th century he endowed it with several manors and so the village of Ludham on the River Thurne came into being.
Although the oldest parts of the current church of St. Catherine only dates back to the 14th century there is evidence that an earlier church stood here back in the 11th century.
Legend tells of a dragon that terrorised the village of Ludham. The dragon made a lair of tunnels under the churchyard and across to the main street. Whilst the dragon was out basking in the sunshine one day a young fellow blocked the entrance to its tunnel. Enraged, the dragon flew off to St. Benet's Abbey and after smashing its tail against the wall, vanished, never to be seen or heard of again!
Ludham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ludham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
||1583-1588, 1612-1910|| |
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 653
Poor Law Unions
Tunstead and Happing http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Ludham.htm transcript of 1891 census
- Ludham on GenUKI
- http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/ Ludham Community archive for history and images of the village
- http://www.ludhamairfield.org/ World war 2 photos of RAF Ludham
- Parish Info on AChurchNearYou
- Ludham Norfolk Churches website
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 186-190. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.