Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1900-1964
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Orleans Parish, Louisiana, United States|
|Flag of Louisiana|
|Location of Orleans Parish, Louisiana|
|Location of Louisiana|
|Record Type||Vital Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains an index and images of birth, marriage, and death records from the Louisiana State Archives. Coverage varies by parish and date range.
For a list of records by date and event currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes records available online to all FamilySearch.org patrons at no cost. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians.
Due to contractual provisions with the Louisiana State Archives, FamilySearch has revised access to the Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records collection online to meet the following guidelines.
Images for the Louisiana, Orleans Parish vital Records, 1900-1964 collection can be viewed through the following means:
- Images can be viewed by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by signing into the website using a member account.
- Users with public accounts will be redirected to our partnership site at the Louisiana State Archives where image access is fee-based. Viewing fees help the archive fund the preservation and access of valuable records and ensure that research facilities are maintained.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1900-1964.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
|Many marriages recorded in the South, are separated by race in volumes, books, or registers. Be sure to check to determine if you have the right set of marriage records.|
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Louisiana marriages, click Louisiana Marriage Holdings here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of the event or the name of a parent or spouse
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range, and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1905-1913, 1955-1963. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the Louisiana Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1900-1964." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 22 August 2018. Louisiana State Archives, Baton Rouge.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.