Loudon County, Tennessee Genealogy
Loudon County, Tennessee ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to Loudon County (established 1870) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Loudon County, Tennessee|
Location in the state of Tennessee
Location of Tennessee in the U.S.
|Founded:||June 2, 1870|
- 1 Description
- 2 Quick Dates
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 History
- 5 Places/Localities
- 6 Resources
- 6.1 Getting Started
- 6.2 Research Guides
- 6.3 African American
- 6.4 Cemeteries
- 6.5 Census
- 6.6 Church
- 6.7 Court
- 6.8 Family Histories
- 6.9 Land
- 6.10 Local Histories
- 6.11 Maps
- 6.12 Military
- 6.13 Newspapers
- 6.14 Occupations
- 6.15 Periodicals
- 6.16 Probate Records
- 6.17 Taxation
- 6.18 Vital Records
- 7 Societies and Libraries
- 8 Websites
- 9 References
The County was named for nearby colonial-era Fort Loudoun. The County is located in the east central area of the state. 
Loudon County's civil records start the following years:
County CourthouseLoudon County Courthouse
601 Grove Street
Loudon, TN 37774
County Clerk has marriage records from 1870.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court recordsfrom 1870.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1870. 
Loudon County Courthouse
101 Mulberry St/
Loudon, TN 37774
Loudon County Clerk
Marriage, probate and court records
101 Mulberry Street, Suite 200
Loudon, TN 37774
Loudon County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 395
Loudon, TN 37774
Mon.-Fri. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
East Tennessee county established in 1870.
For animated maps illustrating Tennessee county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Tennessee County Boundary Maps" (1777-1985) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Alleghany (hist.)||Dixie Lee Junction||Lenoir City||Poplar Springs|
|Big Piney||Eaton Forest||Luttrell||Robinson Mill|
|Coulter Shoals||Greenback||Oak Grove||Unitia|
|Coytee (hist.)||Griffitts (hist.)||Palin (hist.)||Vancouver (hist.)|
|Craigmar (hist.)||Highland Park||Philadelphia||Woodlawn|
Use the free Search for Surnames at Mountain Press's website to quickly search a variety of published Loudon County biography, cemetery, and land records. To determine which books are being searched, or to search each publication's index individually, click here. You are now equipped with a checklist of books to pull off the shelves at a genealogy library, or a wish list for your personal book collection.
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Tennessee Counties: Loudon County, courtesy: TSLA. (Identifies published county histories, published local records, census records, newspapers and local records on microfilm, and select manuscripts.)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|TNGenWeb Cemetery Database||Epodunk|
|See Tennessee Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Resources
- Tennessee Cemeteries - Hometown Locator
- Loudon County, Tennessee Cemetery Inscriptions at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- Webster, Tommy. Loudon County, Tennessee Cemetery Inscriptions. [database on-line] Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1998. Availabe at Ancestry ($).
1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 federal population censuses of Loudon County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Tennessee Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide online indexes.
See Tennessee Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
1810 - 1891
- McConkey, Lynn. Loudon County, Tennessee 1880 Census with Indexes. Madisonville, Tenn.: L. McConkey, 1987. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8863 X2m 1880.
- Sistler, Samuel D. 1880 Census, Loudon County, Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: Byron Sistler & Associates, 2002. FHL US/CAN Book 976.886 X22s 1880.
1890 - Lost, but substitutes are available:
- Reed, Sue S. Enumeration of Male Inhabitants of Twenty-one Years of Age and Upward, Citizens of Tennessee, January 1, 1891, as Provided for by an Act of General Assembly of Tennessee, Passed January 15, 1891, and Approved January 22, 1891. 8 vols. Houston, Texas: S.S. Reed, 1989. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 X2r v. 5 1891; digital version at TNGenWeb. Loudon County is included in Vol. 5.
- Sistler, Byron H. and Barbara Sistler. 1890 Civil War Veterans Census, Tennessee. Evanston, Ill.: Byron Sister and Associates, 1978. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 X2s 1890.
- Smallen, Tammy L. The 1910 Loudon County, Tennessee Census. Loudon, Tenn.: T.L. Smallen, 1995. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8863 X2s 1910.
- 1863-1908 - Mount Zion Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, Baptism Index 1863-1908. Batch C710941 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1853-1885 - Mount Zion Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, Marriage Index 1853-1885. Batch M710941 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
This bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" (Friends, Associates, and Neighbors)
- Crass - Roberts, Pauline H. The Crass Families of Roane and Loudon Counties, Tennessee. Oliver Springs, Tenn.: P.H. Roberts, 1979. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C854r.
- Tedford - Detty, Victor Charles. A Tedford Family History. Carlisle, PA: The author: 1956. Available at Ex Libris; digital version at Heritage Quest Online. ($).
The original Loudon County Deed Books are held at the County Courthouse. The earliest entries are for the year 1870. TSLA microfilmed Deed Books A to 4 (1870-1882) in 1968. FHL copies: FHL US/CAN Films 565007-565009.
War of 1812
- Embry, Hermione D. "War of 1812 - Tennessee Pensioners on List - January 2, 1883," Ansearchin' News, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan. 1961):20-23. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a v. 8 (1961); digital version at journal website. [Includes Loudoun County pensioners (p. 20).]
- 1861 - 1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1891 - 1965 - Tennessee, Confederate Pension Applications, Soldiers and Widows, 1891-1965 at FamilySearch — images
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications: Loudon County. Includes soldier's name, county, pension #, unit or widow.
- United States Pension Bureau, List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883: Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for... (Washington Printing Office; 1883). Online at Internet Archive. Loudon County, page 358-359.
- TNGenWeb, Loudon County Tennessee Civil War Veterans. Union and Confederate.
- The Civil War in Loudon County.
- Confederate Soldiers Buried in Roane/Loudon County, Compiled by Robert L. Bailey).
Civil War Battles
Loudon was the site of Civil War battles from October through December of 1863.
Many Tennessee newspapers are filmed and available at TSLA. Most of these newspapers may be accessed by interlibrary loan to libraries within Tennessee, although there are some newspapers which are not available in or outside of Tennessee. For further information regarding interlibrary loan policies and newspapers not available for interlibrary loan click here. For a list of newspapers available at the archives for Loudon County click on the following city:
- Miller, Alan N. East Tennessee's Forgotten Children: Apprentices from 1778 to 1911. Baltimore, Md.: Printed for Clearfield Company, Inc., by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2000. FHL US/CAN 976.8 U2m. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). Purchase at Genealogical.com. Includes Loudon County.
Tap into the minds of local experts. Editors of genealogical periodicals publish unique sources that researchers who are new to their area would not likely discover. This type of material may be found in local, regional, or statewide genealogical society journals. The following periodicals cover this county:
- Ansearchin' News
- Genealogical articles with abstracts of records of Loudon County, Tennessee have been published in Ansearchin' News, the quarterly magazine of the Tennessee Genealogical Society. To view a list of these articles, visit their county index. To read digitized versions of the first 36 years of articles (Vols. 1-36), browse their archive or conduct a surname search. The Family History Library has a complete collection of the Ansearchin' News quarterly FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a.
- East Tennessee Roots
- Genealogical articles with abstracts of Loudon County, Tennessee records have been published in East Tennessee Roots (10 vols.). A subject index to these articles is available online. Surname indexes to Volumes 9 and 10 are also available online. The Family History Library has collected most issues of East Tennessee Roots FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 D25e.
FamilySearch has placed scans of the following records online in the Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927 collection. These are browse-only collections. Handwritten indexes may be found at the front or back of some volumes:
- Wills, 1870-1943 (Vols. A-B)
- Bonds, Letters, 1879-1968 (7 vols.)
- Inventories, Settlements, 1870-1938 (Vols. A-D)
- Settlements, 1870-1937, 1950-1968 (3 vols.)
The following Loudon County tax records have been abstracted:
- 1870 - Bristol, Georgia. "Loudon County, TN - Taxes - Taxes 1870," available online, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives; also online, courtesy: TNGenWeb. Source: Loudon Trustee Tax Books, Vol. 1870, 1873-1878, TSLA Roll #170.
- 1873 - Shaw, Kay. "Loudon County, TN - Taxes - 1873," (11 Districts), available online, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives; also online, courtesy: TNGenWeb. Source: Loudon Trustee Tax Books, Vol. 1870, 1873-1878, TSLA Roll #170.
- 1890 - Swearingen, Janelle. "Loudon County, TN - Taxes - 1890 Poll Taxes," available online, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives; also online, courtesy: TNGenWeb. Source: Luther Blackman Papers, TSLA Roll #620-2.
- 1625-1966 - Tennessee, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1780 - 2002 - Tennessee State Marriages 1780-2002 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1870 - 1926 - Loudon County Marriage Index 1870-1926 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
In 1940 and 1941, W.P.A. workers pinpointed the location of Loudon County divorce papers in diverse County Courthouse records, see the following resources:
- W.P.A. Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey, 1941. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A3gp.
For deaths of Methodists in Loudon County (or what became Loudon County) between the 1830s and the 1920s, try searching the following records:
- Smith, Jonathan K.T. Genealogical Abstracts from Reported Deaths, the Nashville Christian Advocate. (1847-1914) 10 vols. Jackson, Tenn.: J.K.T. Smith, 1997-2003. FHL US/CAN Books 976.855/N1 V48s 1847-1851 ff; digital versions at David Donahue Memorial: Tennessee Records Repository. Website expands upon the publications and includes deaths from the 1830s, 1840s, 1910s and 1920s.
Societies and Libraries
Tellico Village Public Library 304 Lakeside Plaza Loudon, TN 37774 Phone: 1-865-458-8762 Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sat. 9 a.m.-Noon
Loudon Public Library
210 River Rd.
Loudon, TN 37774
East Tennessee Historical Society
601 S. Gay St.
P.O. Box 1629
Knoxville, TN 37901-1629
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Loudon Tennessee Family History Center
This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- FamilySearch Catalog (FamilySearch) — The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Loudon County, TN Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Loudon County, TNGenWeb (USGenWeb)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: TNLOUDON-L (Loudon County, Tennessee List)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: ETN-L (East Tennessee List)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: ETN-OZ-L (East Tennessee Migrants to Ozarks Region List)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SE-TN-L (Southeast Tennessee List)
- Loudon County TN Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Loudoun, Tennessee" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudon_County,_Tennessee accessed 24 Dec 2018
- Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey (W.P.A.), 1941; "Earliest County Records," Tennessee State Library and Archives.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Loudon County, Tennessee page 641, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "List of Counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 641. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
- Voice of Joyce Gaston Reece, Friends of the Archives Historical and Preservation Society, Monroe Co., TN., Secretary and American Local History Network, Board of Directors, Vice President (2010).
- Voice of Lynnae Weller, Kingsport, Tenn. (2010).
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- N.A. Strait, Alphabetical List of Battles, 1754-1900: War of the Rebellion, Spanish-American War, Philippine Insurrection, and All Old Wars, with Dates; Summary of Events of the War of the Rebellion, 1860-1865, Spanish-American War, Philippine Insurection, 1898-1900, Troubles in China, 1900, with Other Valuable Information in Regard to the Various Wars (Washington, D.C.: N.A. Strait, 1903), 81. Digital version at Google Books.
- The Heritage Quest Online version of PERSI aided in the compilation of this list.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/8/88/Igitennesseel.pdf.