Lothians Family History Society
|Lothians Family History Society|
Lothians Family History Society The Lothians family History Society is a non-profit making Society consisting of members interested in promoting the study of genealogy and family history, starting and extending research into family roots, and in furthering interest in and facilities for genealogical research. The society is situated in Bonnyrigg which is approximately seven miles south of Edinburgh. The Society`s Library is housed in the Lasswade High School Centre`s Library which is open during the same hours as the school library from 08:30 to 16:00 hours daily (closed for lunch 12:00-12:50) and in the evenings on Wednesdays from 18:15 to 21:00.
The Lothians Family History Society was originally founded as the Midlothians Family History Society but changed its name at a later date. The focus is on Lothians genealogy, excluding Edinburgh itself.
- Assistance doing family history
- Access to the society's collection
- Monthly meetings
Benefits of Membership in Local Family History Societies
The following advantages and benefits of joining a local family history society will help you extend your pedigree and grow your knowledge and research skills in each England county:
- One of the best ways to discover other (distant) relatives, with whom to collaborate on family lines.
- Learn about events and local history which directly affected your ancestors.
- Know how/what effective search strategies and other critical approaches to employ in your research.
- Obtain numerous ideas for helping you overcome brickwalls in constructing your genealogy.
- Learn about, use, help create critical products being compiled by each society, such as transcribing or indexing churchyard, marriage, baptism, census, military, occupation, and etc records of the area or county, perhaps even helping to build data content for your parish[es] of interest (i.e.index) if desired.
- Purchase books, CDs, microfiche, or the services of knowledgeable and experienced local residents to perform "lookup" services for all those researching ancestry from remote areas around the world.
- Share/publish your ancestral surnames of interests for others to view and respond with help and assistance in various ways.