Los Altos California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Altos Family History Center serves the communities of Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, and parts of Sunnyvale and Palo Alto. The Center maintains several computers and film readers, and can have a ScanPro 2000 film digitizer unit available upon request. Our book collection contains many records from New England States.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Collections
- 3 Center Services
- 4 Resources in the Local Area
- 5 Links
- 6 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 1300 Grant Road, Los Altos,CA 94024 United States(Corner of Grant Rd and Portland Ave.)
- To make an appointment for other times, please contact the Stake Temple and Family History Consultant - Center in advance at (1-650-968-1019.)
Closed for: Thanksgiving Day: Christmas: New Year's Eve: New Year's Day: Easter Sunday: Mothers Day & Fathers Day
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
- Staff training sessions occur every second Sunday from 4:30PM to 5:30PM in the meeting room across from the center.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Catalog[edit | edit source]
Our catalog has been migrated to its new home at familysearch.org>Search>Catalog
Under “Search these Family History Centers” select Los Altos California Family History Center
The new catalog will allow patrons to:
- Search by Places, Surnames, Titles, Authors, Subjects or Keywords
- Broaden a search to other local family history centers, the Oakland FamilySearch Library or to the holdings of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City
- Have a direct link to the growing collection of online resources at FamilySearch.org and elsewhere
Note - Micofilm and fiche found in the FamilySearch Catalog (and not already in the Los Altos Family History Center) may be ordered online at Link and designated to be delivered to the Los Altos Family History Center. Once delivered they may be viewed on the equipment at the center free of charge during normal open hours..
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Three computers
- Three film readers
- One microfiche reader
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
The staff has advanced training in English research and New England research
Resources in the Local Area
[edit | edit source]
The Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group meets every second Saturday (except Dec) at the same location as the Santa Clara Family History Center and offers a variety of classes and computer training sessions for all levels of research and skills.
The Santa Clara City Library on Homestead Rd. maintains a large collection of genealogical materials on the second floor.
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.