Los Alamos New Mexico Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Alamos Family History Center is a genealogical library located at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Los Alamos, New Mexico. It is open for use by patrons from or visiting Los Alamos. It includes 5 internet-connected computers, free Ancestry.com and other subscription genealogical sites searches, microfilm viewing and help with your genealogy. A similar Family History Center is located in near-by White Rock, New Mexico.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1967 18th St Los Alamos NM 87544 United States
- To visit the Los Alamos Family History Center; as you enter the town going west on Trinity Drive (Highway 502), turn right (north) on 15th Street, then left on North Sage Street, and drive a block into the Church parking lot.
- Park to the left (south) end of the building, and access the Family History Center via the south door.
- There is handicap parking and a wheelchair ramp, with one step at the door, to access the building.
- Tuesday:9:00-12:00pm and 7:00pm-9:00pm
Closed all holidays: Closed last two weeks of December:
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness: Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- A modest collection of genealogical books is housed in the Center, including works such as "Origins of New Mexico Families" by Fray Angelico Chavez.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
==== Hardware and Equipment
- 5 Internet-connected computers
- 2 Microfilm readers
- 1 Microfiche reader
- A large collection of microfilm (over a thousand)
- A collection of microfiche
- Genealogy books
- Consultants for hands-on assistance
Staff Research Specialties
Microfilm ordering, viewing and copying assistance; Starting or using free cloud (internet) family trees, including Ancestry.com and FamilyTree.
Resources in the Local Area
- White Rock Family History Center, 366 Grand Canyon Dr., Los Alamos (White Rock), NM 505-672-9888 -- A large database of Los Alamos area obituaries (1963-2008) is available in the White Rock Family History Center.
- Mesa Public Library, Los Alamos, New Mexico
Volunteer at the Center
Volunteers welcome, see the Stake Temple and Family History Consultant - Center to discuss.