Logan County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Guide to Logan County, Oklahoma ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Logan County was created 1890. The town of Guthrie was designated as the county seat. The county was named on August 5, 1890 for U. S. Senator, John A. Logan, of Illinois. 
Logan County Court Clerk
301 E. Harrison Ave. #201
Guthrie, Oklahoma 73044
Clerk Court has marriage records from 1889, divorce, probate court records; County Clerk has land records from 1889
Logan County, Oklahoma Record Dates
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in Logan County, Oklahoma:
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 21 page 152 - Morris Heights Cemetery
For tips on accessing Logan County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for Oklahoma starting in 1860. For links to Federal census indexes, see Oklahoma Census.
State Census Records
- 1890 Oklahoma Territorial Census 1890 - Oklahoma Historical Societ
- 1890 and 1907 Oklahoma Territorial Census, 1890 and 1907 at Ancestry — index and image ($)
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 1851 - 1959 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Indian Censuses and Rolls, 1851-1959 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1895 - 1914 U.S., Native American Citizens and Freedmen of Five Civilized Tribes, 1895-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1898 - 1914 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Dawes Census Cards for Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- Dawes Final Rolls - Oklahoma Historical Society
Land and Property
- 1884 - 1934 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Land Allotment Jackets for Five Civilized Tribes, 1884-1934 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- 1899 - 1907 Oklahoma Applications for Allotment, Five Civilized Tribes, 1899-1907 at FamilySearch — index and images
- For more information see Indians of Oklahoma
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
The County Clerk has the land records from 1889 to present.
Online Land Records
Current land searches for Logan County can found at 
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863 - 1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats, 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- El Reno Homesteader Filings - Oklahoma Historical Society
For more information see Oklahoma Land and Property
Local histories are available for Logan County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Maps n More - county and township maps.
- Oklahoma Civil War Map of Battles
- 1775 - 1783 - United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783 at FamilySearch - images only
- For more nationwide Revolutionary War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- Oklahoma, Confederate Pension Index, 1915-1955 at Ancestry — index (free)
- For more nationwide Civil War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
World War I
- For more nationwide World War I databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
World War II
- Oklahoma Military Deaths - Oklahoma Historical Society
- For more nationwide World War II databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Oklahoma Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Oklahoma newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Oklahoma newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Oklahoma Newspaper Catalogs
- Oklahoma State Historical Society - catalog of known Oklahoma newspapers; lists repositories that have the newspapers
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Logan County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Oklahoma Cemeteries.net Provides listings of Obituaries & Photos (No Membership Required)
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Logan - Probate records.
- 1801 – 2008 Oklahoma Wills and Probate Records 1801-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1887 – 2008 Oklahoma Probate Records 1887-2008 at FamilySearch — images
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
1000 NE 10th
Oklahoma City, OK 73117
Ok 2 Explore- --- Online search of Vital Records for State of Oklahoma with
Earliest Birth Record on file is 1865 & Death Records 1908. Required fee for copies.
Same as Vital Records
Online Marriage Records Indexes and Images
- 1790-1998 - Oklahoma, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1841 - 1927 - Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Marriage, Citizenship and Census Records, 1841-1927 at Ancestry ($)
- 1852 - 1948 - Oklahoma, Church Marriages, 1852-1948 at FamilySearch — index
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma Marriages, 1870-1930 at FamilySearch Index only.
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Select Marriages, 1870-1930 at Ancestry — index ($)
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Marriages, 1870-1930 at My Heritage index ($)
- 1889 - 1951 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Marriage Index, 1889-1951
- 1890 - 1995 - Oklahoma, County Marriages, 1890-1995 at FamilySearch Index and images
- OKGenWeb Oklahoma Marriages
Online Death Records Indexes and Images
- Obituaries Listed in the Oklahoman - Oklahoma Historical Society — index only
- United States Social Security Death Index
- 1935 - 2014 - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 at Ancestry ($)
- 1936 - 2007 - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry incomplete ($}
Online Divorce Records Indexes and Images
- 1923 - 1942 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Divorce Index, 1923-1942
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- Oklahoma Territorial Museum (Various research services,Exhibits,tours ) http://www.okterritorialmuseum.org/
- The Frontier Country Museum (pioneer-days artifacts from pre-20th century to the present)
Logan County Genealogical Society
406 E. Oklahoma
Guthrie, OK 73044
Logan County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1419
- Logan County OKGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oklahoma. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_County,_Oklahoma accessed 09/29/2016
- Wikipedia contributors, "Logan County, Oklahoma," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_County,_Oklahoma, accessed 6 August 2016.