Llay, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy
"LLAY (LLAI), a township in that part of the parish of Gresford which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 5 miles (N. by W.) from Wrexham; containing 539 inhabitants. It is situated near the left bank of the river Alyn, and on the border of Flintshire.Offa's Dyke passes between the township and the river." (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis)
Llay became an ecclesiastical parish on 13 December 1944. It was formed from the whole of the Gresford township of Llay, and parts of the Gresford townships of Llay, Burton, Gresford, and Marford Hoseley.
For more information on Llay see:
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llay at Vision of Britain