Llanwenog, Ceredigion, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Llanwenog, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
Llanwenog is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in Dyffryn Teifi in CEredigion, Wales.
The community includes the villages of Rhuddlan Teifi, Drefach, Cwrtnewydd, Alltyblaca and Gorsgoch.
LLANWENOG (LLAN WENOG), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 Miles (W.S.W.) from Lampeter. This parish, which comprises the upper and lower divisions, is pleasantly situated on the river Teivy, and on the turnpike road leading from Lampeter to Cardigan. It is distinguished as the scene of a memorable battle, which was fought in 981, between the Danes, under their famous leader Godfrid, and the native Welsh under Eineon ab Owain (in which the former were totally defeated), or, according to Dr. Meyrick, between Eineon and his countryman Hywel ab Ievav; and a square intrenchment in a field called Cae'r Vaes, or "the field of battle", on the farm of Ty cam, in this parish, is still pointed out as the spot where the engagement took place. The church, dedicated to St. Gwynog, is an ancient structure, with a massive tower sixty six feet high. There were formerly one or two chapels of ease to the mother church; no chapel is now standing, but according to tradition one was situated between Llanvaughan and the farm of Dolwolf, called Capel Santesau, "the saintesses' chapel." The dissenters have some places of worship in the parish; and two Sunday schools are held, both of them by the Independents, to whom one of the meeting-houses belongs.
For more information see Llanwenog at Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llanwenog at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 147-157. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 January 2014.