Llanthetty, Breconshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANTHETTY, or LLANDDETTY (LLAN-DDETTI), a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, in South Wales, 6 miles (N. W.) from Crickhowel; consisting of the hamlets of Dyfryn and Vro. This parish extends from the south bank of the river Usk, which forms its northern boundary, to the confines of Glamorganshire. The church, dedicated to St. Detta, is a neat structure in the later style of English architecture, consisting of a small nave and chancel, sixty-six feet in length and twenty-four in breadth, with a low tower at the western end. It is situated within a few yards of the Usk, by the hamlet of Dyfryn. In the hamlet of Vro is the chapel of Tâf-Vechan.
Also spelled Llanddetti, Llanddetty. Llanddetty Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Talybont-on-Usk in the county of Powys. For more information, seeLlanddeti, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 98-111. Adapted. Date accessed: 29 January 2014.