Llangynidr, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANGYNIDER (LLAN-GYNIDR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4 miles (N. W.) from Crickhowel; containing the hamlets of Blaen, Vro, and Dyfryn. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cynyd, or Cynydr, who lived in religious seclusion in Glamorgan, in the sixth century. The parish extends from the southern bank of the Usk to the confines of Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, and is bounded on the north by that river. The church, a plain small edifice, situated in the hamlet of Vro, consists of a nave and chancel. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
Also spelled Llangunidr. LLANGUNIDER, (or Llangynider), a parish in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 4 miles N.W. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated near the foot of the Bwlch mountains on the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The Trivel tram-road passes through it. The parish includes the townships of Blainey, Duffryn and Fro Collieries, quarries, and the Clydach ironworks are the chief sources of employment. In the neighbourhood of the village are Duffryn, Crownan, and Buckland Mill. For more information see Llangynidr, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 56-69. Adapted. Date accessed: 28 January 2014.