Llangenni, Breconshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANGENEY (LLAN-GENEU), a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from the town of Crickhowel. It derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Ceneu, one of the daughters of Brychan, Prince of Brycheiniog. It is bounded on the south by the river Usk, and intersected by the stream Grwyney, which, after flowing in a southern direction for two miles through it, falls into the Usk at this place. The church, situated on the western bank of the river Grwyney, over which is a stone bridge of one arch, is a neat and substantial edifice, in good repair, consisting of a nave, chancel, and south aisle. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
Also spelled Llangenny. LLANGENNY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles E. of Crickhowell, its post town, 9 from Abergavenny, and 13 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Grwyney and Usk. For more information see Llangenni, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 24-36. Adapted. Date accessed: 28 January 2014.