Llangar, Denbighshire Genealogy
The ancient parish was divided into the townships of Llangar, Cymer and Gwnodl. The township of Gwnodle was detached from the rest of the parish.
In 1854 the townships of Cynwyd Fawr, Cynwyd Fechan and Bodheulog were transferred to the parish of Llangar from the parish of Gwyddelwern. The 13th century parish church of All Saints in Llangar was abandoned in favour of the new church of St. John the Evangelist, which was built in the village of Cynwyd.
Although the old parish church at Llangar fell into disrepair, it has now been restored and is managed by CADW.
The area is predominantly Welsh-speaking.
|before 31 March 1974||Merionethshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Births, marriages and deaths in Llangar will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1935||Gwyddelwern||Corwen|| XXVII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Corwen||Merioneth East|| 11b (1935-46)|
- The original Llangar Parish Registers, from 1614 to 1848 (but with gaps), have been deposited at the Meirionnydd Archive in Dolgellau.
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Llangar parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Llangar parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Llangar formed part of the Corwen Registrar's District.
Poor Law Union Records
Llangar formed part of the Corwen Union which was created on 13 December 1836. A workhouse was built at Corwen, but not completed until April 1840.
The records for the Corwen Union are held at the Meirionnydd Record Office in Dolgellau.