Llanfihangelfechan, Breconshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANVIHANGEL-VECHAN (LLAN-FIHANGEL-FECHAN), a chapelry, forming the Upper division of the parish of LlandevailogVâch, in the hundred of Merthyr-Cynog, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Brecknock, on the road to Builth. The name of this place, signifying "St. Michael's the lesser," is derived from the dedication of its church. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is supposed to have been originally erected for the use of the family at Castle Madoc, who contributed largely to the rebuilding of it. It is sometimes called "the Lower Chapel," to distinguish it from the chapel of Dyfryn Honddû, in the parish of Merthyr-Cynog. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, in which a Sunday school is also held.
Lower Chapel Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Honddu Isaf in the county of Powys. Small church dedicated to St Michael and also known as Llanfihangel Fechan, set in sub-rectangular churchyard on the east bank of the Honddu, 7km north of Brecon. It was apparently established at the end of the 18thC, and consequently contains nothing of earlier date. For more information seeLllanfihangel Fechan, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 129-147. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.