Llanfihangel Cwm Du, Breconshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANVIHANGEL-CWM-DÛ, a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Crickhowel. This parish, which is also called St. Michael's Cwm Dû, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and the adjunct to its name from its situation in a vale bounded on one side by the Black Mountains, and from that circumstance usually called Cwm Dû, or "the black vale." The church seems to have been founded in the eleventh century. The church was found to be in such a state of irreparable dilapidation, that, in 1830, it was judged expedient to take it down, with the exception only of the tower; it was handsomely rebuilt in an appropriate style. In the hamlet of Trêtower is the chapel of St. John the Evangelist. There are places of worship in the parish for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists.
LLANFIHANGEL CWMDU, a parish in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 4 miles N.W. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 7 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated at the base of the Black mountains, and is watered by a tributary of the river Usk. The Roman road Via Julia Montana passed through the parish, which includes the townships of Blayney, Cenol, Cilwych, and Tretower. For more information see Llanfihangel Cwm Du, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 129-147. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.